'Ticking' engine

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

mgcjag
Great Britain

#21 Re: 'Ticking' engine

Post by mgcjag » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:45 am

Hi Chris...if your ordering shims than have a close look at the camshaft bearing shells...typically worth replaceing anyway as they are reasonably cheap but with new shells it will alter gaps that you have alread taken...but note that setting gaps by shimming typiclly takes 3 attempts to get them spot on.....cam bearing caps 15lb ft...its in the service manual cam refitting....i still like lockwire...ist been working in Jags for years....but if torqued correctly and loctite it should be ok..if there is no specified torque setting then use standard torque charts (google)..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dan219
United States of America

#22 Re: 'Ticking' engine

Post by Dan219 » Mon May 29, 2023 5:04 pm

Hello everyone. I was reading through this thread, trying to educate myself on what I believe being a similar issue. My '67 OTS runs well, good compression, oil pressure, etc. The only annoyance is that when the engine is hot, a tappet sound becomes quite detectable from the engine area. I am 99% sure that is the valve clearance. I have a few questions for the more experts here, I hope I am not annoying you.

1. Could it be anything else other the the valve clearance that generate the ticking sound?
2. I am rather dextrous with mechanical work, but I have never replaced the shims on the E Type. Is this a task only for the bravest?
3. I watched a few videos on the topic and I feel like the only part where I am not 100% clear is when you need to loosen up the distribution chain to remove the cam shaft. How easy (or hard) is to put it back to the correct tension?

Thank you!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#23 Re: 'Ticking' engine

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 29, 2023 6:16 pm

Hi Dan....tapping could also be a loose tappet guide.. some use a hold down kit...you will see signs if a guide has been hitting a cam lobes.....all a fairly straight forward job...but make sure you understand what your doing befor you start...loosen the chain and adjuster is straight forward.....it dosnt neseccarily go back to the same place..you just tighten it to take up the slack in the chain.....very important when chain is disconnected never turn a camshaft unless the other camshaft is removed......Worth making sure you know how the valves move in relation to each other and with the pistons going up/down.....get it wrong and you can bend a valve quite easily just by turning engine by hand....have a read through this link....at the end is a "how I did tappets" ...Steve viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2887&p=19155&hilit= ... ets#p19155
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic