Carburetor Set Up

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
henda
Great Britain

#1 Carburetor Set Up

Post by henda » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:06 pm

Can anyone recommend a company in the north east who could set my carburetors up.
Series 2 4.2 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Carburetor Set Up

Post by malcolm » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:04 pm

It’s actually not that difficult to do it yourself. The service book gives a good description of how to do it
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Carburetor Set Up

Post by cactusman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:17 pm

As Malcolm said it's not that difficult to do. Really important to ensure that all butterflies are closed with no throttle before you start and all start moving at exactly the same time so 5 mins getting the linkages right can save a lot of frustration later. Set the jets and idle screws as per the book to start. Thereafter remember than minor adjustments can have a large effect so turn adjustments by 1/8 turn increments. With three carbs it is handy to have a note pad to write down what you did. You will need a carb flow meter for tweaking but they are available from numerous on line stores. If you want that last HP and foot pound then you really need to dynamically set the carbs on a rolling road and then you do need an expert. I sat and watched a mates Sunbeam Alpine (On webers) being done last week. Guy was a wizzard!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

simong
Great Britain

#4 Re: Carburetor Set Up

Post by simong » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:49 am

As mentioned above it is not a difficult process just requires a little patience. I have just rebuilt my carbs and spent time ensuring the throttle and choke linkages were set correctly and the engine started first time and only required some minor adjustments. Also make sure the spindle shafts have no play and everything else looks in good order. I used Colour Tune to help set the mixture, it’s not everyone’s choice but helps to get the mixture about right and a flow meter is a must. Final thing don’t start this process unless the ignition timing is correct first!
Simon
1969 S2 2+2, 1974 MG Midget

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
henda
Great Britain

#5 Re: Carburetor Set Up

Post by henda » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:27 am

Thanks very much for the information, I will have a go myself, checked the spark plugs yesterday and all but one where quite pale, the other one looked perfect according to the pictures in Haynes manual. The car had sat for a week or two, without the engine being fully warmed up, had started it a couple of times. Would this make any difference? Would it be worth checking the plugs after a good run? Is the ignition timing easy to check or is this a professional job? Sorry for all the questions as I have just got my dream car and don't want anything to happen to her. I've never had a petrol car in my life only Diesel.
Series 2 4.2 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: Carburetor Set Up

Post by Gfhug » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:35 pm

Henda, do you have a name? Do you have the proper manual?
JAGUAR E TYPE MODELS 3.8 & 4.2 LITRE SERIES 1 & 2 SERVICE MANUAL The long river company has them. Much more comprehensive than the Haynes manual and you can see it shown in the knowledge section to print off a page or two for ready reference when working on your car, but you do need to own it.
The look of spark plugs is nowhere near as useful as when the Haynes and other manuals were printed as we longer have leaded fuel.
Ignition timing is all in the manual and easy to do. Have a good read through in the knowledge section while you wait for your copy of the full manual to arrive. After reading if you’ve still got questions, ask here. People are happy to help.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
henda
Great Britain

#7 Re: Carburetor Set Up

Post by henda » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:07 pm

Thanks Geoff, Im Paul.
Series 2 4.2 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
henda
Great Britain

#8 Re: Carburetor Set Up

Post by henda » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 pm

Hahhahahhahaha, what a numpty, just realized who the long river company are. Cant believe I've just been searching on google for the long river company!!!!!!!
Series 2 4.2 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic