Page 1 of 1

#1 Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 pm
by AshM
I would like to smarten up the Cam Covers on my S2.

My plan was a spray of high temp black and then 'cut through' the paint to polish up the raised veins.

Any other experiences of similar work?

cheers

#2 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:45 pm
by Gfhug
That works

#3 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:20 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Ash.....beware of some of the high temp paints...especialy the VHT some can give a chalky type of coating..... you could use engine enamel...

#4 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 pm
by AshM
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

#5 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:02 am
by bitsobrits
I've had good luck using a razor blade to scrape the ribs once the paint had flashed, but before it's fully dry.

Then when fully dry, carefully flat off the ribs with 600 grit or finer wet/dry sandpaper on a sanding block.

Using the razor first minimizes the amount of sanding required and therefore the likelihood of "rounding" the ribs.

#6 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am
by mark10337
Use masking tape on the ribs.
with a hammer gently tap the masking tape along the edges of the ribs. This will enable you to take off the excess easily and just leave the ribs covered.

Paint, and remove masking tape from ribs by lightly using a razor blade to get a good clean finish.

#7 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:33 pm
by Nigel GT
Hi Ash,
I powder coated mine then carefully using wet & dry exposing the ribs, not that expensive £40 and still looking great after a year!

Nigel

#8 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:20 pm
by brent07n
I think powdercoating is a better route since it is more durabale than paint.

#9 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:48 am
by 288gto
Perhaps a bit belated but here are a few pics of mine I've just done. I've polished the outer part, reminiscent of the Series 1 covers and just painted the top part between the ribs.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Simon

#10 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:00 am
by abowie
They look good!

#11 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:50 am
by Gfhug
Simon, they look great. Did you have to do anything specific to get the polished look? Rubbing compound, wet and dry, elbow grease?

Geoff

#12 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:00 am
by 288gto
Thanks for the kind comments.

All of the above Geoff.I got the cam covers vapour blasted then set to with finer and finer grades of wet and dry followed by a buffing wheel and autosol. I used a dremel with the little buffing wheel for the intricate bits. I used a blade as in the photo for the ribs and then some wet and dry on a flat block. A couple of nights and a weekend so not a quick job but I'm pleased with the end results. I had toyed with putting Series 1 covers on, but it's not a Series 1 so I felt they would have looked out of place. This way I retain the original covers and it looks a bit more blingy.

#13 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:36 pm
by AshM
They look great Simon.

Just finished mine after taking advice from the helpful posts and they look great - but then you posted these! :cussing:

Of course, the nice thing is that they can go back to original at any time.

Great job though - next winter I reckon.

cheers
Ash

#14 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:47 pm
by Vegard
Another way. Would it be possible to mill the fins off, having the entire cover polished?

#15 Re: Series 2 Cam Covers

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:38 pm
by 288gto
It's another option, but you would lose the raised Jaguar logo. For me, you might as well buy the earlier cam covers if you want to have a total smooth polished look. This way you can still see they are Series 2 cam covers but with a bit of a difference.

Simon