Page 1 of 2
#1 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 am
by Red Kite
Its now 2018, so it will be 50 years ago in October, that the launch of the Series 2 E-Type was heralded at the Earls Court Motor Show in London. 16 October – 26 October 1968.
Well, it wasnt really launched, but slowly wheeled in at the back while they showcased the XJ6 ....
I think it would be a great idea to have a Series 2 get together around that time. There is a Sunday Scramble planned at Bicester Heritage on Oct 7th which i'm sure we could get a club discount and parking for.
Anyone with other ideas welcome.
I'm happy to organise if there is enough interest.
Gerry.

#2 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:35 am
by Gfhug
Gerry, a nice idea. A get together at Bicester or maybe Brooklands would be fun.
There are enough of us who appreciate the S2.
Though be prepared for a continuation of the S2 aesthetics theme
Geoff
#3 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:44 am
by malcolm
Interesting that towards the end of the article, it reads "A welcome detail is a combined ignition/starter switch in place of the former separate controls", when the current rage in new cars is the inclusion of a separate starter button!
#4 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:21 pm
by chrisfell
(Says this quietly, so as not to arouse any ire....)
Would the invitation be extended to S2s which have had covered headlamp conversions and/or triple SU conversions and/or toggle switch dash conversions?
#5 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:25 pm
by politeperson
Count me in.
#6 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 pm
by Red Kite
chrisfell wrote: ↑Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:21 pm
(Says this quietly, so as not to arouse any ire....)
Would the invitation be extended to S2s which have had covered headlamp conversions and/or triple SU conversions and/or toggle switch dash conversions?
You've got loads of time to convert it back to its purest form !
However, as mine has a 5 speed gearbox and a bespoke tunnel i have to say Yes, all would be welcome

#7 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:57 pm
by mgcjag
Any meeting of E types is a great idea....but do you really just want just S2......Steve
#8 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm
by Gfhug
We could charge extra for posers in S1s

#9 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm
by Simon P
Sounds like a good plan! I'd be up for this

#10 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:10 pm
by Herzeg
Brooklands sounds good for a change of venue.
John
#11 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 pm
by malcolm
Yes, I might do a Brooklands meet. Dates allowing of course.
#12 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:09 pm
by Paul71a
I’m away from the 12th october, so if it’s before I’ll be up for it!
#13 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:02 pm
by AshM
I would be keen Gerry.
Best
Ash
#14 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:08 pm
by Ian Cooke
Brooklands sounds good - count me in!
Ian
#15 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:35 pm
by Red Kite
Brooklands seems favourite at the moment.
That would also mean we are not tied to any particular day of the week or date.
#16 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:02 pm
by cactusman
Just be aware that for most coming from north of the big smoke or down in Kent the obvious way to Brooklands is around the dreaded M25 to jnct 10 . Living close and enduring its pleasures regularly I would observe that week days would be less than ideal as it is a car park more often than not between 6:30am and 9:30m and 4pm to 7pm. Saturday outside hols seasons are not so bad and Sunday's are probably best although admitted there is probably never a good time to be on the M25 except 4am when it is brilliant.
I would certainly not be joining it in my E in the week...although I have a S1 with hopeless head lights, poor brakes and seats that "would keep an osteopath in work for months"...or so some say

I could park in a corner behind a tree?
#17 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:13 pm
by Gfhug
Julian, you won't need to park behind a tree. The more the merrier
Geoff (Agreeing with your comments about the M25 car park, having a particular dislike of it)
#18 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 pm
by Herzeg
Being fully aware of the M25's reputation, I went from the dartford crossing to Gatwick in the morning rush hour two months ago and rarely went below 70mph. I was heading for the rolling road under the Gatwick approach path and had a sublime journey, passing every car except one. The journey back in the afternoon was westbound via Heathrow and again was non-stop. Just goes to show there are exceptions to the rule.
John
#19 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:11 pm
by cactusman
That's the trouble....it is brilliant when it works and a disaster when it does not. I have done Hemel to Gatwick and back in two hours....but I left at 3am. Equally I have taken 4 hours to just get to Gatwick....Generally the worst bit is the section round from the M1 jnct at 21 round to about junction 10...at least at rush hour...
#20 Re: 50 Year Celebration of the Series 2 !
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 pm
by JerryL770
I could be up for this too but I would favour Bicester as I don't need to use Mway and it's closer.
But then I have still not been to Brooklands ..................