Page 1 of 1
#1 Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:56 am
by elliottS
None working oil pressre gauge always reads max pressure all the time. I believe problem is the sensor and I made an to change it. I could not get the old on off as it just kept spinning. How does this come apart?
Second I think I have a light sensor not one for a gauge. I can’t find, one any ideas would help. I am new in finding Jag parts. Thanks. Elliott
#2 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:28 am
by mgcjag
Hi Eliott...the oil sender has a hex connector under the can.....you need to undo it there...not sure what you mean by light sensor... Steve
#3 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:52 am
by elliottS
Steve.....I saw the hex under the larger sensor body, but it turned with the bigger body. I couldn’t tell what size the hex is as I tried all I have through 11/16. I could see to see why. I ment light as I bought a oil sense but I think. It’s for a light not a gauge.
I’ll keep looking for the correct sensor. Also give it another try to get it off.. thanks. Elliott
#4 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am
by mgcjag
Hi Eilott....dont know what setup you have for your oil sender..quite often extra adaptors can be added..this is the sort of thing you should .... Steve

#5 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:20 am
by elliottS
Steve ... That looks like what I have as far as I can tell. I really cannot see it clearly. I'll have it on the lift Saturday and will see if the underneath view is different.
#6 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:51 pm
by JerryL770
Elliott, this is the part you need
https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Englis ... 111fef865e
....... if it is the sender at fault - quite likely.
However, I had an oil pressure gauge which went full scale till I took it out of the dashboard and then connected 1 terminal to the power in and the other to the sender. The gauge then worked perfectly. However, when in the dashboard, the gauge case was earthed and there was a short circuit from the bi-metal strip to the case causing the gauge needle to go full scale. That requires a specialist repair or new gauge.
#7 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:38 am
by elliottS
Thanks Jerry, I have one on order. I took off the wire and the needle went to "0" I am starting to find my way around for parts. I really feel flying blind without that gauge when I am not familiar with the car.
Thanks
Elliott
#8 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am
by JJC
Why replace junk with newer junk ? Switch to mechanical gauge.....get an accurate reading all the time, probably never fail. Smith gauge , and set up, look original, and very easy to install. The lifeblood of any engine, so why guess about pressure with an electric gauge ?
John
#9 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 pm
by elliottS
Thanks John,
I think I will move to a mechanical gauge. I found a link to one in a post near by and was wondering if that what you used. And how difficult to get through the dash? Thanks
Elliott
#10 Re: Oil Pressure gauge not working
Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:20 am
by JJC
re-read my post...same Smiths gauge....one for electric, one for mechanical. Look the same. Of course they are the same size. Easy....10 minute job. Flexible oil line .....line and instrument, plus fitting, all from Smiths. Contact Nossinger in Mamaroneck, NY. Enjoy !
JC