Page 1 of 1
#1 Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 pm
by Roger
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a set of Chrome Cantrails for my 1970 Series 2 FHC. Does anyone know where I might be able to find them, they seem as rare as Hen's teeth.
Roger
#2 Re: Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:21 am
by mgcjag
Hi Roger.....i assume you mean the chrome trim that edges the cantrails.....i think they are no longer available...I have heard that the long thin bonnet chrome can be used and still available from the usuals.. Steve
#3 Re: Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:50 am
by paulsco
Hi Roger,
I have the same problem and have experimented with my old bonnet chromes after Steve's suggestion.
I can confirm that they will do the job; they are quite difficult to curve to the right shape, but it can be done if you are careful. The bonnet chromes are just a couple of inches too long, which is ideal really, but you will need three if you are doing the part under the quarter light as well.
Paul
#4 Re: Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:36 am
by Roger
Thanks Guys, I'll give that a go!
Roger
#5 Re: Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:58 am
by Roger
Hi Paul,
I notice you said I would need three, is that for both sides or 3 per side?
Kind regards,
Roger
#6 Re: Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:42 am
by mgcjag
Hi Roger...the cant rail above the windows will need one and the cantrail under the rear quarter window will need a half.....so 3 in total per car... Steve
#7 Re: Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:16 am
by Jeremy
Roger, if you do manage to bend them successfully I would be interested to hear how you did it.
#8 Re: Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:33 pm
by Roger
Thank you Guys, I'll let you know how I go. I still haven't given up looking yet, but it is looking grim.
Roger
#9 Re: Series 2 FHC Cantrails
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:15 am
by 1954Etype
Roger, bending them is no problem, maintaining the gap you need to slide it over the cantrail is t he hard part. Practice on your old bonnet chromes if you have them. If you can slide something that fills the void (I'm thinking like thick piano wire?) then you will be able to bend it without closing up the slot. Obviously, you will need to be able to get the wire out again. You will obviously need to have it rechromed after you have bent it so using an old one would be best. You might be able to heat it. (This is what we would try in the absence of anything else).