Page 1 of 1

#1 B-pillar mystery plate?

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:30 pm
by KenL
Hi Everyone
While cutting out the rot in my roadster's B-pillar, I came across this rectangular plate in the bottom. No sign of it in any parts diagrams, it is only spot welded on 2 sides: to the panel behind the door shut and the lower closing panel in the wheel arch, where it makes a triple layer for part of the seam - not a great idea. I've looked at Monocoque Metalworks excellent photos of the same area - no sign of it. Any idea what it's supposed to be doing and whether it can be left out when I rebuild? I'd really appreciate your views

Cheers

Ken
Image

#2 Re: B-pillar mystery plate?

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:26 am
by Geoff Allam
Yes it is a funny little piece. In my restoration i used it to help position the new inner sill. With the car upside down the sill butts up to that panel and to the panel behind the shut face. It was a convenient piece to use to pull the sill in tightly with sheet metal screws into it and the panel behind the shut face. You want the sill pulled in as tightly as you can. I don’t think it would really hurt to delete it but it is a simple panel to fabricate so why not be correct? Sorry but I do not have a good picture of it in place.

#3 Re: B-pillar mystery plate?

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 am
by Geoff Allam
I just checked the mm website. You were probably looking at this picture.
Image

I agree. Itlooks like the piece has been left out so it is likely not absolutely necessary. I did find it convenient though so it is up to you.

#4 Re: B-pillar mystery plate?

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:54 pm
by KenL
Thanks, Geoff, for your comments and photo - as you say, it's an easy thing to make and fit so I'll do just that. The plate would have a minor stiffening effect and probably reduces condensation running too far down. So what's not to like?! 😁

#5 Re: B-pillar mystery plate?

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:43 pm
by Geoff Allam
Agreed. It is easy to fabricate and you have to expect that there was a reason for it. An unnecessary piece on 72000 cars adds up so it must have been deemed usefull. Maybe it was just the amount of weight needed to get the 50:50 weight distribution :)

#6 Re: B-pillar mystery plate?

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 pm
by paulsco
Hi,

A couple of pictures if they help:

Image



Image

Note that the back part is sandwiched between the top and bottom panel.

Paul

#7 Re: B-pillar mystery plate?

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 am
by KenL
Thanks, Paul, for the useful photos - they show exactly how to fit it.
Cheers
Ken