Series 2 and 3 Headlamp chrome trims supplier?

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#21 Re: Series 2 and 3 Headlamp chrome trims supplier?

Post by JulianBarratt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:59 am
Hi Julian
Does the fastener BD9848 fit to the original holes for the rivets for the headlamp chrome trim?
Regards
Holger
No - this would require drilling out one of the rivet holes that you can access from behind to put a nut on. Its not the best solution but one that has been used by our technician when he is struggling to get a good fit...
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#22 Re: Series 2 and 3 Headlamp chrome trims supplier?

Post by angelw » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:24 am

Julian Wrote:
we are going to try on some of our stock on our V12 over the Christmas period and look at remaking these better than they currently are.
Hello Julian,
Another part that would be worthwhile looking at is the Eyebrow moulding. This also is a terrible fit on an unmolested, original bonnet. Again, the shape of the bonnet (centre section and wing) is more governed by the sugar scoop than the panels themselves.

A major problem with both these parts (Headlamp Chrome Trim and Eyebrow Moulding) is that the manufacturer didn't copy the material originally used and made both out of steel rather than brass. The argument could be made that the steel is cheaper than brass and therefore, there would be a cost saving there. But not if, as it seems from comments in this Thread, that numerous sets are being purchased to get one that fits, or that they are being damaged trying to get a good fit and another set has to be purchased.

If they do have to be tweaked to get a good fit, brass components will be easier to manipulate than steel. Further, with the digitizing and scanning equipment available today to generate a CNC program to create a 3D Punch and Die set, there is no excuse for the manufacturers getting it wrong. There is plenty of Press Tool Design software around where a 3D surface can be imported and the true shape of the Press Tool surface obtained taking into account how various materials, that may be trialed, react.

Best regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
288gto
Russia

#23 Re: Series 2 and 3 Headlamp chrome trims supplier?

Post by 288gto » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:38 am

angelw wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:24 am
........ There is plenty of Press Tool Design software around where a 3D surface can be imported and the true shape of the Press Tool surface obtained taking into account how various materials, that may be trialed, react.

Best regards,

Bill
Hi Bill, I did offer to send Julian a pair of original headlamp scoops FOC for this when I post back all the trims that don't fit but he declined.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#24 Re: Series 2 and 3 Headlamp chrome trims supplier?

Post by angelw » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:21 pm

Simon Wrote:
I did offer to send Julian a pair of original headlamp scoops FOC for this when I post back all the trims that don't fit but he declined.
Hello Simon,
I'm sure that there would be enough variation in the shape of the area of totally original, unmolested bonnets, where the sugar scoop trim is to fit, that the chrome moulding won't be a perfect fit for all. If Julian's S3 is unmolested, that should be a good test bed. However, it is a mistake, in my opinion, to make the surround mouldings and the eyebrow moulds out of steel, where brass was used originally and is a far better choice. It forms better, it yields easier if it has to be reshaped and its a better substrate for chroming.

Mechanical components that are incorrect are the parts that I'm truly Gobsmacked at. There have been many complaints, on numerous Forums, regarding the fit of Top Wishbone Ball joints; mostly stemming from the fact that the assembly can't be made even with all shims omitted. The main culprit seems to be the distance between the spherical surface and the flat face of the hemispherical cup that is part of the assembly. This part and the Ball Pin are are machined on a CNC Turning Centre and would be among the easiest of parts to make on a CNC lathe.

Tool life is very predictable on such parts; therefore, after the tool offsets have been initially dialed in to turn parts within tolerance, there should be not one reject in a production run.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rubyfloriley
Great Britain

#25 Re: Series 2 and 3 Headlamp chrome trims supplier?

Post by rubyfloriley » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:27 am

Hi
Just fitting the trims around my series 2 headlight pods, very pleased im not the only one to have aged attempting this. My originals where fixed with a special clip at the end of a small 2ba stud i managed to save 3 but not sure i can reuse them as they were rusted. Im going to try a small screw and washer where possible, and the rivets on the tight sides, watch this space!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic