Tune up

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
allenjdeg2
United States of America

#1 Tune up

Post by allenjdeg2 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Following many attempts by a good and respected jag mechanic our 1969 E-type is still running poorly. The engine has approximately 15,000 miles since a complete rebuild. All engine stats are good. My mechanic rebuilt and tuned the two SU’s with new appropriate needles. The engine now starts and runs better but it continues to “surge” while driving and backfires when the engine is turned off. Am I being unreasonable to expect a reasonable smooth running car? Can anyone recommend a good experienced Jag mechanic in the Southern California area?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Tune up

Post by mgcjag » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi....sorry to hear that you havent resolver your running issue with your non original E type SU set up discussed here http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 40c541134b i suggest you post on the US Jaglovers forum im sure you will get some local knowledge and reccomendations Steve https://forums.jag-lovers.com/
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Tune up

Post by christopher storey » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:54 am

Do you mean backfires, or do you mean it runs on ? Neither of these are in any way normal, and the latter in particular points to the possibility of acutely weak mixture which if allowed to continue may well burn holes in pistons. What are the needles which are fitted - that at least should tell us what jets the carbs ( which in any event are too small for the engine ) have been built with ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#4 Re: Tune up

Post by malcolm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:41 pm

If you've still got the Strombergs, maybe you'd be better off putting them back? Swapping strombergs for 3 SUs perhaps makes sense, but not sure about the two?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#5 Re: Tune up

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:20 pm

My experience is limited to the HD and HS series SUs so can someone please clarify the following on Allen's setup:-

Both carb jet linkages appear to be mounted on the middle of the rear shaft. This can't be right, surely. This would mean that when the accelerator pedal is pressed and the shaft turns, the jets are pulled down in addition to the throttle disc opening. This would not only limit the opening of the throttle discs but also mean the mixture is totally over rich at anything above idle.

In addition the carbs are not a matched pair-the rear unit has a much "fatter neck and piston cap. Chances are the jets aren't matched either.

If I'm right I think Allen needs a new mechanic..

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic