Page 1 of 1

#1 Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:57 pm
by xk.app.soc.
Hello All.
I'm converting my series 2 E Type to RHD and wondered what others who had carried out this conversion had used as an air filter for twin Stromberg's. Being a late series 2 I am unable to use the original air filter as its obstructed by the pedal box.
It seems I have 2 options fitting 2 K&N style air filters or the early series 2 plenum and canister filter. (would that clear the pedal box.?? ).
Which brings me to my second question. As l cant use my original filter I'm assuming l will have to remove all of the emission's do l just have to plug the pipe on the inlet manifold and change the oil breather cover to an earlier type.

Cheers Phil.

#2 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:05 pm
by johnetype
I'd suggest using the "early" - it's actually most of them - Series 2 plenum and canister filter is best. The canister filter assembly is available from The Usuals and given that there are many folks who convert to triple SU's you should be able to find a second-hand 2 carb. plenum for Stromberg's easily enough.

The K&N's whilst good filters will give you more induction noise and look out of place.

I have heard it's possible to modify your current air filter by cutting back on the part that fouls but difficult to do without looking a bodge.

With the standard plenum the engine crankcase breather pipe runs from the front of the timing chain housing to a fitting under the plenum. There's no inlet temperature control pipework to deal with.

#3 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 pm
by Drive35
Hi Phil
By coincidence, just yesterday I received a pair of K&N Filters, but on trying to fit them found the front one will not go over the chassis rail (by at least half an inch) :mad:
I'm leaving mine as LHD, however also trying to replace the standard box air filter, like yours for something more interesting!

Does anyone know the benefit (or otherwise) of removing the secondary inlet manifold? Guess the throttle linkage would need modifying and water outlets blocked off.


Image

Image

#4 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:02 pm
by Bigcatfrankie
Hi Phil,
I converted my 2+2 to right hand drive and made the mistake of ordering K&N filters that didn't fit!
I ended up with fitting Ram-flo by Lynx filters to my Stromberg's..........look very smart as well.
Will try to download a photo if you want to see how they look?

#5 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:32 pm
by Drive35
I'd like to see them, please, Tim.
Looks like I'll have to go that route if they clear the chassis rail.

#6 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:16 pm
by johnetype
Drive35 wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Does anyone know the benefit (or otherwise) of removing the secondary inlet manifold? Guess the throttle linkage would need modifying and water outlets blocked off.
The dis-benefit of removing the secondary inlet manifold apart from the ones you've mentioned is that you end up with the carbs too near the cylinder head worsening the airflow and probably torque. The best compromise is just to remove (or wire open) the secondary throttles but leave the secondary manifold in place.

#7 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:53 pm
by PeterCrespin
The notch under the bulkhead end of the fibreglass plenum to clear the RHD stuff is pretty small - maybe 1/2” deep and and inch or two wide. It wouldn’t be hard to modify the LHD Strangleberg plenum and it would be invisible.

You could - with some trouble - make up two spacers to replace the secondary manifold and then fit 2” SUs but it wouldn’t be worth it as there’d be little benefit compared to wired open secondaries and the triangle plenum backplate and alloy ‘ram pipes’ would need modification to SU 2” spec?

#8 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:31 pm
by Bigcatfrankie
As requested by Geoff..........Ram-flo by Lynx filters pic...........
Image

#9 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:41 pm
by xk.app.soc.
Thank you all for your reply's.
Thanks for the photo Tim. also looks like there's plenty of room under the filter for the brake and clutch pipes.
Tim / Geoff. when you removed the emissions on your car, did you have to make any adjustments / tweaks to your Stromberg's.

Cheers Phil.

#10 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 am
by Drive35
Thanks for the picture, Tim. Are they the RF400 type - can't seem to find any UK supplier at the moment or did you get them directly from Lynx? There are some copy versions from a US supplier, but works out about the same price as the real thing!

Still need to do the inner butterfly modification and haven't really run the car without the original air filter yet, Phil. Will let you know later.

#11 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:24 pm
by xk.app.soc.
I've found these Tim. but cant find the oval type
Phil.

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/cd-1 ... iumphvolvo

#12 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:22 pm
by Bigcatfrankie
Well Phil & Geoff............I'm wondering now if they were old stock or whether a conversion kit was used.
I have to confess that I didn't actually fit them myself; my restorer did the modification, a couple of years back, when he converted the car from left to right hand drive. If I can find out from him what type of Lynx filters they are I will let you know.

#13 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:28 pm
by mgcjag

#14 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:14 am
by Drive35
Thanks guys - had seen those sites and various others but no-one seems to list the oval type for Strombergs.

Tim - according to the Lynx site they're RF452S-2 https://www.lynxauto.com.au/catalog/pro ... gory/1531/
Am trying to get shipping costs from them anyway.

#15 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:51 am
by Bigcatfrankie
My apologies for the late response but I have only just received word back from my restorer. In his words..................."The company who supplied the filters are called Classic Carbs. There was no adjustment to the carbs required as I'm pretty sure, because yours is an American car, the carbs are not adjustable anyway. The filters came with a blank backplate which I drilled to suit the carb flange and that was all the fettling required."
I hope that helps, Geoff.........and others!

#16 Re: Late series 2 air filter.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:17 am
by Drive35
Thanks Tim - Have ordered a pair of those