Rear Wood Jacking Spreder

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Fuel.inj
Wales

#1 Rear Wood Jacking Spreder

Post by Fuel.inj » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:25 pm

Finding another useful post regarding a front end wood spreader to fit under the picture frame to jack the car up safely and without damage, I have made up one from a nice pice of hardwood and it works a treat.
I want to make an equivalent spreader for the rear end on my S2 FHC to lift under the diff and protect the exhaust system. Has anyone made a suitable spreader and if so can you post a photograph and dimensions.
Thanks in advance. Paul.
Paul.
1971 S2 FHC (Opalescent Blue)
1990 Mercedes Benz 260E
1972 Saab 96 V4
A number of Nortons.
1939 Triumph T100

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear Wood Jacking Spreder

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17 pm

Paul, dimensions will depend on which piece of spare timber you can find. You can easily knock something up out of bits you’ve got in your garage or shed
Nothing specific but, say, a piece of 2 inch square long enough to spread fore and aft across the IRS frame with a notch if needed to clear the lugs attaching the exhaust pipes. Can’t recall if mine is 2x2, but check what you’ve got thick enough to give clearance of the exhaust pipes and down to your jack.
That’s all.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear Wood Jacking Spreder

Post by tim wood » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 pm

I’ve just done exactly as Geoff suggests. Spent a few weeks removing and replacing my IRS. As you know this is blinking heavy and I needed to move this around the garage. After dropping down & then lifting to replace.

Used a piece of 19mm ply shaped to fit the irs plate with some scrap timber glued and screwed to this and fitted with some cheap casters from screwfix. Made sure that the timbers were apart far enough to allow my trolley jack to slide between them.

I had the tailpipes removed which I understand you do not wish to do - this is a 10 minute job.
Absolutely cheap and cheerful. Did the job admirably .
If I’m not too embarrassed at my woodworking skills i will post a photo.
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#4 Re: Rear Wood Jacking Spreder

Post by vee12eman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:17 am

Hi,

Here’s mine:

90mm x 90 mm, fits between the pipes and takes the weight square on. Two holes, but distance may vary depending on models - mines a Series 3 and the gap is 380 mm centre to centre. I just jacked the beam up a little bit and made impressions of the bolts on the base of the IRS, then drilled out with a flat blade hole borer.

The other piece is my front jack pad.

If the exhaust is off, then I replace the pad of the jack with this (shown balanced on the pad rather than firmly attached):

The bolts and flat washers fit close over the base of the IRS, then the pad is firmly bolted to the jack and the IRS is rock steady on the jack, can’t fall off, stays upright and can be moved around with ease and safety. Bolt centre distance is 305 mm ( longest side), the short side doesn’t matter so much.

All homemade. The beam is just an off cut of treated pine. Some say too soft, but it has served well for ten years or so.

Regards,

Simon.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#5 Re: Rear Wood Jacking Spreder

Post by 44DHR » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 am

Paul,
Here’s mine from a previous post :-
I have a simple jack plate which fits each side of the exhausts. The wooden 70 x 45 mm lifting supports just fits snugly each side of the pipes, with the wood picking up on the differential trunnion brackets.

Full text and previous post and other comments and ideas on rear jacking here :-

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 18#p127018

Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fuel.inj
Wales

#6 Re: Rear Wood Jacking Spreder

Post by Fuel.inj » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 pm

Thank you all for your great responses. Dave, I had previously seen your post for the spreader and will look at that as a design guide as the S2 exhaust on my car is a slightly larger bore.
Stay safe, Paul.
Paul.
1971 S2 FHC (Opalescent Blue)
1990 Mercedes Benz 260E
1972 Saab 96 V4
A number of Nortons.
1939 Triumph T100

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#7 Re: Rear Wood Jacking Spreder

Post by vee12eman » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:08 am

Hi,

As I was using the spreader today, I thought I’d show a photo in use. Really really simple, cheap and stable.

Regards,

Simon
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic