Series 2 XKE Bell Housing problem

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Terry S Martin
Canada

#1 Series 2 XKE Bell Housing problem

Post by Terry S Martin » Fri May 21, 2021 11:46 pm

I am looking for information on Bell housing for my XKE series 2.
The engine and gear box was recently removed. The bell housing had serious cracks around the clutch.
I obtained a used bell housing, that I was assured was from an E type S2.
It trial fitted perfectly, one noted difference was that it did not have the counter bores for the starter spigot plate downs.
After re installation the starter will not engage the flywheel correctly. It makes a horrid grinding noise and kicks out.
With the spigot plate removed it engages a little better, managing to get the engine started. Still very noisy.
It failed to engage the flywheel on subsequent attempts. Back to it’s noisy grinding and kick out.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Terry

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 2 XKE Bell Housing problem

Post by tinworm » Sat May 22, 2021 5:19 am

You may have the 'S' type or 2.8 XJ6 bell housing which was made to fit the all synchro gearbox but use the older inertia starter. The bell housing has some value if it is one of those as you can convert a 3.8E to take the all synchro box without changing the flywheel / starter etc.

Barrie
ps there may be a part number on it somewhere to help identify it.
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 2 XKE Bell Housing problem

Post by mgcjag » Sat May 22, 2021 7:49 am

Hi Terry....yes a Barrie says above......also there were plenty of 3.8 bellhouseings that were machined on the rear to fit a 4 syncro gearbox...3.8 and 4.2 bells have the starter mount holes in slightly different positions....so basically i think you have the starter fixing holes of a 3.8 bell and a 4.2 flywheel....as you say your existing starter wont fit correclty unless you reposition the starter mount holes (they need to be acuratly repositioned) so its far easier to fit a high torq starter.....you can get these for 3.8...4.2....or a mix of both....depending what supplier you use tell you want it to fit a 3.8 bell and 4.2 flywheel.....its a common issue used in the replica Jag comunity......Fossway sell a unit off the shelf....or Powerlite will make you up a unit....but thats in the UK.....also confirm with your supplier if their unit needs you to use the spigot plate/spacer.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic