Seat runner mountings

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
DazbodS2
Great Britain

#1 Seat runner mountings

Post by DazbodS2 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:41 am

Hi All,

With my seats nicely restored by GB Classic Trim and new carpet vinyl and hardura fitted, it’s time to put the seats back in. I understand the front circular packing pieces that locate under the Runner “mushrooms” and the rear packing pieces are screwed in place ABOVE the under-seat hardura. I believe this is to prevent damage to the hardura which would occur when adjusting the seat if the packing was underneath the hardura. Can anyone please confirm this is correct as originally I thought they would sit in the recess of the ridged floor under the harduras?

Thanks
Darren - 1970 S2 FHC Signal Red.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Seat runner mountings

Post by Gfhug » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:14 pm

Darren, in my S2 the hardura had holes to go around the packers. The mushrooms and seat rails therefore sat above the hardura.
Whether that is at it came out of the factory :shrug: but it stops the seat dragging on the hardura or even preventing the seats from being adjusted.
IMHO You certainly wouldn’t have the mushrooms sitting on the hardura, they should clamp down solidly onto the floor pan.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
DazbodS2
Great Britain

#3 Re: Seat runner mountings

Post by DazbodS2 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:32 am

Many thanks for the response Geoff. So the the hardura holes are wide enough to go around the front and back packing pieces? That would make sense, I tried mounting the pieces above the hardura but with the holes through the hardura just wide enough to allow the screws through. This meant the packing pieces were above the hardura but it resulted in the hardura puckering up when screwed down and not resting flat.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Seat runner mountings

Post by Gfhug » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:08 am

Darren, if it were my car I’d make the holes in the hardura large enough to allow the packers to sit on the floor pan.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mach2andy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Seat runner mountings

Post by mach2andy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:09 am

Hi Darren
I did exactly what Geoff suggests. I punched holes in the Hardura so that the packers sit directly on the floor pan. I say packers plural because I fitted a packer under the mushrooms as well. That's what was shown on the IPC diagram I looked at. And don't do what I did. On the first seat that I fitted, I had one runner set one notch further back than the other, and I can assure you that that makes the seat impossible to fit!!
ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
DazbodS2
Great Britain

#6 Re: Seat runner mountings

Post by DazbodS2 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:10 am

Thanks Geoff and Andy. My car also had packing pieces under the mushrooms when I took the seats out and mounted on the floor pan. I would have naturally done what Geoff suggested and sat the packing on the floor pan too. The only reason I questioned this, was that my trimmer said to fit above the hardura to stop the seat runners damaging the hardura. This seemed to stack up, as for some reason my car had carpet fitted under the seats and this had been damaged by the runners. BTW Andy, I had exactly the same problem. First seat went in very easy second seat was real pain until I discovered that one runner was a notch out, I can only assume I caused this when manhandling the seat back in the car. As you say, the seat is then impossible to fit! The only problem I now have is the the width of the seats is a very tight fit and the reclining lever buts right up against the sill vinyl on both sides risking damage to the vinyl.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic