Front bumper fitting

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Front bumper fitting

Post by mach2andy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:17 pm

Whats the most straightforward way to fit the front bumper? Loosely fit the 5 pieces together and then offer this unit up to the car? Or fit the left and right pieces, then the centre section plus overriders? Or some other permutation? I will be working alone, but could probably muster a willing helper if that's whats required. It seems to me that replacing the long overrider bolts with a piece of studding secured with a nut would make matters easier. Anybody tried that?
Thanks in advance.
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Front bumper fitting

Post by johnetype » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:02 pm

I fitted the left and right pieces first, loosely in place then added the centre section, iirc. I did it on my own. I don't see why studding and a nut shouldn't work well for the overriders. I used stainless steel bolts with washers to pack them out as necessary to spread the load and ensure they didn't "bottom" in the front of the overriders but it would have been quicker if I'd thought to use studding.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#3 Re: Front bumper fitting

Post by mach2andy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:18 am

Hi John
Thanks for your reply. I did as you did and fitted the left and right bumpers loosely, then the motif bar. I made up some studs to replace the bolts in the overriders which made them much easier to fit. The NOS overriders that I bought at Stoneleigh needed a lot of trimming to get them to sit correctly. Really pleased with the end result .

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic