#1 Hood to Winscreen Fit
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Last year I had my windscreen refitted professionally and very expensively by a well known local restorer and it now no longer leaks at the bottom but read on.
I seldom drive the car with the hood up but since the windscreen job at speeds over about 20mph the wind noise is deafening. I am not exaggerating. Whilst it was never exactly quiet before the windscreen job I could quite happily drive at 70mph and listen to the radio and I would say the wind noise was typical of a rag top of the era. Now it is completely deafening and not only that but when it rains water comes in at the top which it didn't used to.
I have replaced the front top seal with a new one but it made no difference.
There is a gap of about 1/4" between the chrome finisher on the hood and the chrome on top of the screen through which I can see the seal which appears compressed as you would expect. Is this usual? All three latches are tensioned nicely.
I can't figure out what's wrong or how to get the hood (which is only three years old) to seal that way it used to.
Any thoughts on this?
Eric
I seldom drive the car with the hood up but since the windscreen job at speeds over about 20mph the wind noise is deafening. I am not exaggerating. Whilst it was never exactly quiet before the windscreen job I could quite happily drive at 70mph and listen to the radio and I would say the wind noise was typical of a rag top of the era. Now it is completely deafening and not only that but when it rains water comes in at the top which it didn't used to.
I have replaced the front top seal with a new one but it made no difference.
There is a gap of about 1/4" between the chrome finisher on the hood and the chrome on top of the screen through which I can see the seal which appears compressed as you would expect. Is this usual? All three latches are tensioned nicely.
I can't figure out what's wrong or how to get the hood (which is only three years old) to seal that way it used to.
Any thoughts on this?
Eric