Newbe with a new type 2

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

chrisvine
Great Britain

Post by chrisvine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Eric Capron wrote:On the topic of numbers, I see that yours is 21 cars later than mine (1R1400) but the original engine for mine is the one after yours (7R8076-9). However, my body number is 4R5453 which means that whatever the missing digit is the two bodies are at least almost 500 apart.

Strange.

Eric
Eric,

JDHT have indicated that the production record has my body number as 4R5962. Not sure why there's such a difference.

Has your car been restored or is it largely original? The reason I ask is that I'm trying to work out if the petrol tank set up is correct. There appears to be a small petrol expansion tank and numerous small tubes between the expansion tank and the petrol tank. I thought this set up was introduced later on. Do you have an expansion tank and, if so, where is it secured to the bodyshell?

Thanks,
Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Eric Capron
Great Britain

Post by Eric Capron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Chris,

My car is largely original as the previous owner had it for 28 years, most of these it was stored in an old barn. I have renewed rather than restored but it has got a couple of new panels and it has been repainted.

My fuel tank arrangement seems to be the same as yours. In addition to the 'normal' pipes that you would find there are two small (almost capillary size) pipes on the left hand side which have rubber hoses connected to them. These lead to another small tank, which may be what you are calling the expansion tank. This is similar in size to the the radiator expansion tank and is located behind the trim in the boot on the left hand side. I can't find any reference to this tank in any of the parts lists that I have and I'm not sure what its purpose is but I'd guess it's something to do with fuel vapour recirculation control.

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic