Setting Camber and Castor

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#1 Setting Camber and Castor

Post by colinevans » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:16 pm

Hi all
Is there a definitive answer as to when the camber and castor angles should be set? I was always led to believe that this should be done with the engine and box in and the car fully laden. My bibles for this restoration have been this forum (brilliant thanks everyone), Chris Rooke’s and David Barzilly’s, books, and the messages are a bit mixed as to what to donat which stage. My torsion bars are in (setting link used), front suspension loosely on and IRS going on this week. Chris says the car does not need to be loaded but is this correct? David shows the rear camber being set with the IRS off the car.
Any advice for what to do when (and in which order) would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Colin.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Setting Camber and Castor

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:30 pm

Hi Colin...refer to the Jaguar service manual...its all detailed there......suspension is set up with the car in the mid laden position....however you can simulate this for the irs with the irs on the bench and set the rear camber......in my opinion your better off completing a car build and geting the car on the ground and bounced a few times or a quick run around the block..then with it on level ground measure your castor, camber, toe........now you can start to adjust.....befor you measure again the car needs settling again......note if youve replaced bushes dont fully tighten untill the car is fully in the ground and suspension settled.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#3 Re: Setting Camber and Castor

Post by colinevans » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:37 pm

Cheers Steve, yes bushes replaced and nothing tightened. Thought what you said might be the case but thought I’d check as the rear camber in particular looks a lot easier with the IRS on the bench!
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Setting Camber and Castor

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:48 pm

Hi Colin...iv set the rear camber with the irs in the bench quite a few times....just make sure its level....its quite easy and in my case the setting were correct when fitted back in the car......however if youve replaced your shocks or springs you could have a problem as its not uncommon to get incorrect ride height after replaceing these...as they are not all necessarily to correct spec.....Steve......ps slip plates for each tyre to sit on are a good investment as its a quick easy way it settle suspension.....
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#5 Re: Setting Camber and Castor

Post by colinevans » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:07 pm

Great thanks Steve, I refitted the original rear springs/shocks as no that old so I’ll set up on a level bench.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Setting Camber and Castor

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:16 pm

Hi Colin....for bench set up you will need to disconnect all the shocks and fit setting links or similar to simulate correct mid laden point....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#7 Re: Setting Camber and Castor

Post by colinevans » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:38 pm

Yes will do Steve thanks
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#8 Re: Setting Camber and Castor

Post by bitsobrits » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:26 pm

colinevans wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:16 pm
Hi all
Is there a definitive answer as to when the camber and castor angles should be set?
Cheers, Colin.
As others have posted, initial setup can be done during the build up phase, and can/should get you quite close if you've done it all carefully. Final tightening of all pivot points, particularly the front wishbone bushes, should be done only after the car is complete and normally laden. I have a short (2 mile) lower speed route I drive before final tightening which allows everything to settle in. You will still need to do a final check and perhaps adjust of all settings once you've run the car for a couple of hundred miles.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#9 Re: Setting Camber and Castor

Post by colinevans » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:56 pm

Thanks Steve, made a setting link earlier and took initial measurements with it on the (level) floor, will finish it off in the morning. Appreciate the advice guys.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic