Interior Questions

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#1 Interior Questions

Post by cmdrew » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:40 pm

Hi - I have recently posted I have bought a 1969 series 2 roadster which the more I get in to it the more problems I find but that's not really unexpected given how little (relatively!) I paid for the car. There are a few interior niggles i want to sort out which mean I want to remove the centre switch panel to replace a couple of switches and work out why others don't work and also I want to replace the gear lever gater (manual) as it seems to be wrong. I have ordered a haynes manual but was hoping for some tips on how to remove the centre console, switch panel, clocks etc rather than me just removing screws and hoping for the best!
Chris Drew
SII Roadster in Red (looking like a bit of a project!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Interior Questions

Post by mgcjag » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi Chris....get a proper Jaguar manual as well.....top corners of the panel have thumb screws unscrew and oanel hinges down....Steve.....
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#3 Re: Interior Questions

Post by cmdrew » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:12 pm

yes done that but I could do with getting the panel off so I can get to the rocker switches more easily but the radio console is in the way somewhat.
Chris Drew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Interior Questions

Post by Gfhug » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:20 pm

Chris, as Steve says get the proper manual
https://jec.org.uk/shop/e-type-3-8-4-2- ... ice-manual
Join one or more of the clubs and you’ll get a discount at suppliers like SNG Barratt
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk/home

The centre panel is notorious for not dropping down easily/fully. As I said on your other topics, have a talk with someone local to you who is properly knowledgeable on the E Type. All these little niggles will be explained to you and you’ll learn so much about the car and really feel so much more at ease and have a super, fun time with your new car.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#5 Re: Interior Questions

Post by cmdrew » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:45 am

Just wondering if there is anyone close to Scunthorpe in North Lincs who knows a lot more about E Types than I do? I bought this S II roadster mainly because (a) it was cheap and (b) it looked shiny and I always wanted one - but in the cold light of day I think it has probably been tarted up somewhat to sell. Don't get me wrong, I love it and think it was worth what I paid, but I would welcome a more 'expert' view to give me some suggestions as what to do with it next to improve it!
Chris Drew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#6 Re: Interior Questions

Post by rswaffie » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:47 am

Hi
Ken Jenkins is about an hour from you, in Worksop. He has been mentioned favourably on this forum. Is the car on the road?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Interior Questions

Post by mgcjag » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:51 am

Hi Chris....your not alone most first time classic car purchasers jump in a bit quick then find more things wrong than they thought...but at least you now have a car that you wanted......post up lots of photos here and we can point out all the things you want and dont want to know.......put up a new post " E type help wanted nr Scunthorp" it will attract local forum members near you......you need to be selective in what you do or else very quickley it could be fully stripped down and off the road for 2 years whilst you refurb it......if you post photos and give us your numbers someone here may know or already looked at the car it will all help you......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#8 Re: Interior Questions

Post by JerryL770 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:02 am

I restored all the switches on my S2 whilst it was being re-built. If you can get the switch panel out it is fairly easy to restore the switches to fully functional. They will come apart with a little judicious levering with a small screwdriver but be careful to note how the bits go and avoid the springs jumping out across the room! Several of my switches did not work because of dried up grease inside and mild corrosion. Take them apart, clean, lube if you like with small amount of red rubber grease (is what I'll have used) and rebuild.

I took the opportunity of having all the switched out to polish the "panel" and re-paint the silver outlines with some Hombrol enamel.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TheMadBadger
United States of America

#9 Re: Interior Questions

Post by TheMadBadger » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:38 pm

On my S2 OTS with radio, no a/c, I must move the radio tower away so the center instrument panel will open completely. I can do it by hand since there is only one nut holding the radio console in place on the lower forward edge of both sides, then it pulls away.

Mark
Mark Badger
1968 Series 2 E-type convertible
1971 Series 2 E-type coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic