Wheels

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Redcrofter
Great Britain

#1 Wheels

Post by Redcrofter » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:20 pm

Hi just bought a set of wheels for my 1970 series 2 . Seller told me that these were wider of series 3 but will fit and the rear bump stop just needs removing. Upon fitting its the front that fowl .can these be fitted or do I need to sti k to originals ? Any information greatly appreciated
TROLL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wheels

Post by malcolm » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:06 pm

Redcrofter wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:20 pm
H Upon fitting its the front that fowl .can these be fitted or do I need to sti k to originals ?
Shame to hear you have chickens at the front
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Redcrofter
Great Britain

Post by Redcrofter » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:47 pm

Your obviously a sailor thanks for advise
TROLL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Wheels

Post by mgcjag » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:20 pm

Hi.....typically S3 had 6in wide wheels.....S2 had 5in wide wheels. ......however you can purchase 6in wide wheels to fit S2 cars(MWS).....but the inset and backspaceing for these will be different to the S3 wheels......iv never tried to fit S3 to a S2 but obviously there would be some difference.....i think you have probably found it......all dimensions inset/backspace can be found on the MWS website (wire wheel supplier).....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dougal
Great Britain

#5 Re: Wheels

Post by dougal » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:09 pm

I am aware that there are wheels available that claim to be tub eless wheels, however we have come accross too many failures with these wheels to trust them and would strongly encourage the fitment of innertubes with all wire wheels. there is more detail on here.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... tubes.html

I would also say that many people misguidedly feel that fatter tyres are a good thing to fit on these early 6 cylinder E-types. it would be wrong of you to buy bigger tyres for handling reasons. The best handling tyres on these cars for modern roads are either the 185VR15 Michelin XVS and the 185VR15 Cinturato by Pirelli.

If you are intent in fitting a fatter tyre because you like the look then fitting a proper period tyre thsat was designed to suit your chassis ang geometry will subtley make your handling nicer. so currently if you insist on fitting wider tyres on a 6 clinder e-type the best ones would be the 205/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN12, 205/70VR15 Michelin XWX and the ER/70VR15 Dunlop is also pretty good.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... -type.html

for later Power steering series 3 V12 e-type Pirelli also make the P5 which was designed to improve the performance of Jaguars power steering cars.

but really series 1 or series 2 is better with a proper period 185VR15, or Norman Dewis would have had them fitted in 1968.
Chain Gang for ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic