Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#1 Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!

Post by cmdrew » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:01 pm

I'm probably opening myself up to some stick but here goes. As I have mentioned before, on a whim I bought what looked like a cheap S2 OTS at the end of last summer. I did a couple of short test drives enough to convince me that I really wanted to convert to RHD. I've started the project and the conversion itself has been easy enough but I still have the wiring to finish - I have a new dash loom but the not the second 'under bonnet' loom which apparently makes the job a bit easier (having both new looms that is).

While doing he conversion I pulled the handbrake up to test fit the centre console and it went slack as if the cable was broken - no problem thought I just replace the cable while I have the interior out. Under the car I noticed the cable had not snapped but had been 'bodged' where it was supposed to attach to the handbrake compensator. The cable does not have a 'U' shaped end and it looked as if it had just been wedged into the compensator. Not a problem - remove the compensator, sort the broken end and replace the cable. However the nuts holding the compensator are spinning and while I could get 1 out the other won't move and I am struggling to get the welder in to it to stop it spinning!

While under the car I noticed the radius arm bush looked 'odd' - drooping at the front. On closer inspection the mounting cup was not attached to the body and copious amounts of underseal had been used to hide this fact :-(. Removed the radius arm and the floor for around 100mm around the cup is rotten and a plate has been siliconed onto the sill again to hide the rot/hole. Other side is not as bad but certainly feels crusty. I have had a prod around with a screwdriver and cannot find anymore rot along the sills / bulkhead or floors but I guess there is bound to be. Now I'm getting out of my comfort zone! Mechanics I can deal with but I can't weld!

It's obvious now the previous owner knowingly got a garage to 'tart up' the car so it would pass a basic inspection - quick respray and underseal and cover up anything that was wrong. My decision now is whether to sell the car on as is (complete the RHD conversion obviously) and perhaps get new rear floor sections / radius arm mounts fitted or to continue with a more complete restoration? I am into the car for £50K at the moment with the conversion so with luck i wouldn't lose (much) if I sell on as a project???
Chris Drew
SII Roadster in Red (looking like a bit of a project!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!

Post by mgcjag » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:20 pm

Your Call Chris.....cut your losses.....or dig deeper and spend more money.....depends what you want....cheap E types are cheap for a reason......not haveing a good inspection will always cost you as you have now found out.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!

Post by Gfhug » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:41 pm

Chris, several of us have suggested you have the car properly inspected with names of who could help.
Maybe now is the time for a truly knowledgeable E Type person to look at the car. It also depends on how much work you are prepared to/can do yourself. It’s possible you’ve uncovered all the problems and if you can do the rest of the remedial work yourself you get a decent driver for not too much more :shrug:

Just a thought

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#4 Re: Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!

Post by cmdrew » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:30 pm

I think you are both correct. Having thought a little more I have decided I will finish off what I can, that is the rhd conversion and then take the car or more likely have it transported to someone who knows a lot more than I do to have it checked out further. I know it isn’t ever going to be a show car, not what I want anyway, but I do want it to be solid and reliable. With regards to the handbrake I have realised the irs is almost out anyway so I may drop it out completely so i can repair the linkage, clean it all up and check the mounts. All work I can do myself. While t isn’t out I can further inspect and clean around the radius arm mounts.
Chris Drew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!

Post by mgcjag » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:16 pm

Chris..the handbrake compensator fixing bolts screw into captive nuts that can easily rotate...its possible to jam a screwdriver against the nut and unscrew the bolt..plenty of penetrative oil....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#6 Re: Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!

Post by cmdrew » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:46 pm

Thanks Steve, did that with the near side one but I can’t get in well enough on the right. I’ll ask my son to take a look as his hands are a lot smaller than mine! Had a good couple of hours on electrics tonight and making good progress. Just need to extend the main brown live over to the right as the new harness expects it to be there but wired up a few switches and the ignition.
Chris Drew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

eddiecross
Great Britain

#7 Re: Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!

Post by eddiecross » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:01 pm

Hi Chris,
Re- the chassis issues. Great idea to have it inspected to gauge the amount of body/chassis issues.
Obviously better if you can keep costs down by doing as much yourself as possible. Even just stripping off the old underseal would keep chassis costs down and be easier to gauge the work required.

My advice for what its worth....Well done Chris. All E Types in ANY condition command a decent value, with OTS cars at the top of the value food chain.
Maybe cut yourself some slack in pricing the work compared to the current value of the car- that is unless you want to sell it quickly.
I used to budget pretty strictly on restoring muscle cars based on current value and be sweating the pounds. I would then (usually after I sold it) watch the value rise consistently 10-20% year on year rendering my calculations way off base. The ones I still have are keepers.

Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic