#1 Radius Arm Mounts and other concerns!
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:01 pm
I'm probably opening myself up to some stick but here goes. As I have mentioned before, on a whim I bought what looked like a cheap S2 OTS at the end of last summer. I did a couple of short test drives enough to convince me that I really wanted to convert to RHD. I've started the project and the conversion itself has been easy enough but I still have the wiring to finish - I have a new dash loom but the not the second 'under bonnet' loom which apparently makes the job a bit easier (having both new looms that is).
While doing he conversion I pulled the handbrake up to test fit the centre console and it went slack as if the cable was broken - no problem thought I just replace the cable while I have the interior out. Under the car I noticed the cable had not snapped but had been 'bodged' where it was supposed to attach to the handbrake compensator. The cable does not have a 'U' shaped end and it looked as if it had just been wedged into the compensator. Not a problem - remove the compensator, sort the broken end and replace the cable. However the nuts holding the compensator are spinning and while I could get 1 out the other won't move and I am struggling to get the welder in to it to stop it spinning!
While under the car I noticed the radius arm bush looked 'odd' - drooping at the front. On closer inspection the mounting cup was not attached to the body and copious amounts of underseal had been used to hide this fact :-(. Removed the radius arm and the floor for around 100mm around the cup is rotten and a plate has been siliconed onto the sill again to hide the rot/hole. Other side is not as bad but certainly feels crusty. I have had a prod around with a screwdriver and cannot find anymore rot along the sills / bulkhead or floors but I guess there is bound to be. Now I'm getting out of my comfort zone! Mechanics I can deal with but I can't weld!
It's obvious now the previous owner knowingly got a garage to 'tart up' the car so it would pass a basic inspection - quick respray and underseal and cover up anything that was wrong. My decision now is whether to sell the car on as is (complete the RHD conversion obviously) and perhaps get new rear floor sections / radius arm mounts fitted or to continue with a more complete restoration? I am into the car for £50K at the moment with the conversion so with luck i wouldn't lose (much) if I sell on as a project???
While doing he conversion I pulled the handbrake up to test fit the centre console and it went slack as if the cable was broken - no problem thought I just replace the cable while I have the interior out. Under the car I noticed the cable had not snapped but had been 'bodged' where it was supposed to attach to the handbrake compensator. The cable does not have a 'U' shaped end and it looked as if it had just been wedged into the compensator. Not a problem - remove the compensator, sort the broken end and replace the cable. However the nuts holding the compensator are spinning and while I could get 1 out the other won't move and I am struggling to get the welder in to it to stop it spinning!
While under the car I noticed the radius arm bush looked 'odd' - drooping at the front. On closer inspection the mounting cup was not attached to the body and copious amounts of underseal had been used to hide this fact :-(. Removed the radius arm and the floor for around 100mm around the cup is rotten and a plate has been siliconed onto the sill again to hide the rot/hole. Other side is not as bad but certainly feels crusty. I have had a prod around with a screwdriver and cannot find anymore rot along the sills / bulkhead or floors but I guess there is bound to be. Now I'm getting out of my comfort zone! Mechanics I can deal with but I can't weld!
It's obvious now the previous owner knowingly got a garage to 'tart up' the car so it would pass a basic inspection - quick respray and underseal and cover up anything that was wrong. My decision now is whether to sell the car on as is (complete the RHD conversion obviously) and perhaps get new rear floor sections / radius arm mounts fitted or to continue with a more complete restoration? I am into the car for £50K at the moment with the conversion so with luck i wouldn't lose (much) if I sell on as a project???