Page 1 of 1
#1 What is a good price for a complete engine rebuild
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:50 pm
by joseG
Hi Everyone,
After 30 years of good service (engine was rebuilt in the 90s) I have issues with head, lost compressions, leak everywhere ... So I am going to get the engine rebuilt
The fist price proposed is around 15k Euros for full rebuilt with mostly new parts. Just checking if the figure is aligned with today's market as I have not find any good comparison points.
thanks in advance,
JOSE
#2 Re: What is a good price for a complete engine rebuild
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:52 pm
by DWW
Very good price if they do a good job of it.
#3 Re: What is a good price for a complete engine rebuild
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:57 pm
by mgcjag
Jose....that sounds very expensive to me..but depends on their expertise and what they are going to do....remove engine....rebuild....refit etc.....however checkout these guys....used by quite a few on the forum.....get a quote....and it will give you an idea of costs.....Steve
https://cmesuk.com/contact/
#4 Re: What is a good price for a complete engine rebuild
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:21 pm
by malcolm
Yes, I kmow CMES. If you take the engine in yourself, they'll charge about £5,000 for a complete rebuild on a series 2 including parts. That was the price they charged my mate about 3 years ago, so probably a bit more now.
Did my cylinder head as well.
Did a good job on both.
The blokw who runs it, Paul, is a bit old school rough and ready but knows his stufff. They have a full engineers shop on site, do all there own skimmimg, re-boring, lathe work etc etc
#5 Re: What is a good price for a complete engine rebuild
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 pm
by christopher storey
Like Steve ( Mgcjag) and Malcolm I thought this was surprisingly high , but, but......... I think that to get a reasonable idea it is worth pricing the essential replacement parts which I would regard as
6 pistons and ring sets
12 valves
12 guides
cam bearing set
main and subsidiary timing chains
slippers and tensioners for chains
oil pump
main bearings
big end bearings
6 ( I think ) crankshaft oil gallery plugs
oil seals
oil filter and associated bits e.g pressure release valve
top end gasket set
bottom end gasket set
rope seal ( I am not an enthusiast for modern replacements not least because it is a one way street when the crankshaft has to be machined )
and then adding the engineering costs e.g.
crank grinding say 13 journals at perhaps £20 each = £260
drilling out gallery plugs 6 at £20 each = 120
boring 6 bores at say £40 each = 240
head and block cleaning + a contingency for eg coolant passage welding say £100
and then the costs of disassembly and reassembly which I would say would each be close to 40 hours
so 80 hours at say £50 per hour ( at the very lowest) = £4,000
plus of course the dreaded VAT
It all mounts up !! - and no doubt others will add to the list
#6 Re: What is a good price for a complete engine rebuild
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:43 pm
by abowie
christopher storey wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 pm
It all mounts up !! - and no doubt others will add to the list
We would have charged around AU$15k plus removal and installation. So that's not an unreasonable bill if it's done properly.
#7 Re: What is a good price for a complete engine rebuild
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:06 pm
by DWW
....Not forgetting the water pump, end play shims, valve shims, head/block studs,oil pressure release valve, setting up timing, spark plugs, clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, flywheel balancing, clutch slave cylinder....
#8 Re: What is a good price for a complete engine rebuild
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:57 am
by joseG
Thanks to all !
I am now reassured, perfect.
The guys are indeed quite good (Garage de la poste near Paris).
Process has now started ....
Cheers,
JOSE