Page 1 of 1
#1 Lighting switches questions
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:41 am
by cmdrew
Back on my rebuild of my series 2 DHC and on to some electrics. I have an odd issue with the 2 lighting switches. I would assume that the white 'square' on the switches should face up and should be visible when the switch is on however mine seem to be the opposite way around in that with the square mark upwards, the lights are on (or at least the switch is on) when the top of the switch is in, not when it is out with the white mark visible??? This seems wrong to me but I can't see how it can be any different? Hope my description isn't too confusing...
#2 Re: Lighting switches questions
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:08 pm
by Simonpfhc
Hi Chris,
You are correct in your assumption - you press the lower part of the rocker switch to turn on the circuit. This then leaves the upper part of the rocker switch protruding which exposes the white square.
#3 Re: Lighting switches questions
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:08 pm
by cmdrew
Thought so - the issue is these are new switches from SNGB and I am testing with a multi-meter initially. They only switch and connect the circuit when the 'white square' is in, not when it is out. I really don't want to have to dis-mantle the switch to reverse the rocker part...
#4 Re: Lighting switches questions
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:15 pm
by Simonpfhc
I’ve bought all my new switches from SNG and they all work fine.
Most of the switches have both “open when on” and “closed when on” connections. Are you certain that you are testing the correct sets of contacts?
Either way, you can easily disassemble the switches to check if needed.
#5 Re: Lighting switches questions
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:45 pm
by Monkeyfinger
My fairly early car never had the white squares on the switches - very annoying that one replacement has it now, but they can be removed by lightly sanding and polishing. Not sure when these were changed in production, and have never seen it mentioned (prepared to be corrected...)
#6 Re: Lighting switches questions
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:51 pm
by cmdrew
Thanks all, a bit of investigation revealed one switch was the 'correct' way around but the other was reversed. Turns out easy job to just take the cap off and turn it around. I have also replaced the original air filter as although its hideous it does retain the breather. I'll look around for another one.