Series 2 OTS Header Tank positioning and breather questions

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#1 Series 2 OTS Header Tank positioning and breather questions

Post by cmdrew » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:06 pm

Apologies for the stupid questions but here goes. I have worked through my conversion to RHD but have a couple of issues to resolve.

Firstly, I currently have a small radiator header tank mounted on the Left hand side of the bulkhead next to the heater box. I also need to mount the washer bottle and pump and reading around it seems that goes where the radiator header tank is. I have checked loads of pictures but part locations seem to move around! On a RHD 69 OTS where should the header tank and the washer bottle go?

Secondly, my existing 2 carb setup had a pancake style filter which looked a bit crude. I bought replacement carbs (still twin Stromberg) as mine were leaking and the new ones came with a proper airbox. My first issue is the holes in the airbox don't line up with the alloy extensions attached to the carburettors - this is easily resolved by just re-drilling the airbox however more of an issue is my old air box had a flange bolted to it which connected to a breather pipe, the other end of which went to the front top of the engine by the coil.

I am thinking I will have to go back to the old air filter but I did wonder what shouid happen with the breather when used with this airbox? Its possible the carbs aren't from an E Type although the listing did say they were, but even if they are they could be a different year.

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome.
Chris Drew
SII Roadster in Red (looking like a bit of a project!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 2 OTS Header Tank positioning and breather questions

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:51 pm

Hi Chris.....a good resource is xkedata.......lots of photos if you search. ........these bottles and tanks do get moved around especially on lhd conversions.....also air box...if your on twin strombergs you can find some cars with the SU type airbox...and the US style long rectangular box as on the models with emmision manifold. ...what do you mean.."proper" airbox......photos might help..... this link shows a 69 ots header on right washer bottle on left Steve https://www.motorclassica.com.au/vehicl ... e-roadster
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 2 OTS Header Tank positioning and breather questions

Post by Monkeyfinger » Fri May 05, 2023 1:24 pm

Header tank on RHS, washer bottle on LHS - that's how it is on my 69 OTS original RHD. Happy to help with any detail pics if needed.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic