Page 1 of 1

#1 Spitfire Multi-Spark

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 pm
by MartinA
Hi,

Was at the Classic Car Show and saw a demo of the Spitfire Multi-Spark cable. Looks to me like a minitransformer built into an HT lead which runs from the coil to the distributor cap. The main claim is the increase in spark resulting in more complete fuel combustion, better starting etc. Anyone had any experience of this with an e-type? Sounds tempting, what do you think?

Martin :?:

#2

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:25 pm
by mystery type
Martin, they seem to have been around in many forms for a number of years, some discussion /pic here from 2008 ! ...

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... ultispark/

#3

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 am
by christopher storey
You can achieve exactly the same effect by cutting a plug lead in two and rejoining it with a 100 thou gap between the two electrodes. If your coil is in good shape , it will satisfy the demand for higher peak voltage to jump the bigger air gap . It might make starting easier, but that is about all it will do . However, it is likely that this will shorten the life of the coil markedly .

P.S. I am shortly starting selling snake oil which I anticipate will have similar effects

#4

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:57 pm
by MartinA
Thanks - I guess when I think about the physics it should not do much at all, so I think I'll give it a miss (V=IR if my memory serves me correctly). Thanks again.

#5

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:34 pm
by aussieseries2dhc
I have purchased a Pertronix 'Second strike' unit with rev limiter.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/strike/default.aspx

I mainly bought it for the rev limiter, but will be interested to see if the extra spark does anything. Shop around, but JEGS provide good price.

cheers,
john

#6

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:31 pm
by MartinA
Thanks John - would be interested to hear how you get on with it.