The S2 gearbox capacity is shown as 2.5 pints (1.42 litres) for early cars and 3 pints (erroneously converted to 2.4 litres) for later cars.
Does anyone know when this change occurred?
My car has gearbox no. KE7969 which is a later one as far as the filler is on the RHS not LHS like all earlier boxes. Could this be when the capacity changed?
And anyone know why, unless it's as simple as where the filler plug was placed meant more oil to fill? Could it have been to improve lubrication by having more oil, or quiten the gears?
I will plan to put in however much is needed but it would be interesting to learn more. (I notice the S3 data also has the 3 pint 2.4 litre error)
Thanks
Geoff
Gearbox capacity
-
Gfhug
Topic author - Posts: 3857
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#1 Gearbox capacity
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
I reckon it's about 1.7 litres. I always have about a third of a litre bottle of MT90 left after filling the box.
It's a moot point anyway. If you fill the box from the hole on the side you can't overfill it; just keep pumping oil in until it starts to run out of the hole.
It's a moot point anyway. If you fill the box from the hole on the side you can't overfill it; just keep pumping oil in until it starts to run out of the hole.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Gfhug
Topic author - Posts: 3857
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#3
Thanks Andrew, yes 3 pints is 1.7 litres and I'll be doing as you say filling until dribbling down my arm
As I can find no explanation for the capacity change and/or the reason for the filler moving from LH to RH I might drop Jaguar Heritage a line to see if they have any info.
Anyone tell me which side the S3 has the filler?
Geoff
As I can find no explanation for the capacity change and/or the reason for the filler moving from LH to RH I might drop Jaguar Heritage a line to see if they have any info.
Anyone tell me which side the S3 has the filler?
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Gfhug
Topic author - Posts: 3857
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#5
Thanks Andrew, have found something similar.
And there I was thinking that oil running down your arm was character building and all part of the charm of working on E Types
And there I was thinking that oil running down your arm was character building and all part of the charm of working on E Types
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



