Starting Problems S2 2+2 1970

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Paul 012

#1 Starting Problems S2 2+2 1970

Post by Paul 012 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm

My S2 has been inconsistent when starting. Lately I have had zero cranking followed by an unidentifiable light whirring sound when the key is returned to the OFF position.
I recently replaced the starter relay, putting all connections back to exact position when old one removed.
Battery (although old) shows full charge, no visible loose connections at ignition, battery, relay or starter and solenoid.

Occasionally the car has started when waiting a moment or two but now it just has a whirring sound when returning key to Off position.

I did try to start it from the battery charger "starter mode" but got an awful lot of clanking sounds so abandoned that PDQ!

Solenoid stuck?

Starter duff, solenoid duff or other problem? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

If the starter/ solenoid is the problem, I see some people have expressed support for more modern lighter gear reduction starters. Anyone who has experience with British Starters product in the US, please comment before I go this route: they supply 1.2HP Nippondenso (prod id GRS-12-J42). Good to go route or steer clear.

Cheers
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Paul 012

#2 Starting Problems S2 2+2 1970

Post by Paul 012 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Just to let everyone know it was a combination battery issue (replaced with Odyssey 1200 series), some duff wiring connections replaced and solenoid issue.
Car now starts with new battery and good connections but still have post-starting grinding meaning the solenoid is sticking.
Have received a British Starters gear reduction starter; have to wait to get over a pit as the old starter is just not cooperating to come out as there is no space to put my hands.
At least I am running but am keeping use to a minimum until the starter is replaced.

I'll then learn all about old starters by rebuilding the unit when it is off the car.

What parts should I pre-order before commencing this small project?
Cheers
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Paul, thanks for letting us know what the problem was! You do know there is an oval plate on the rhs gearbox tunnel that helps with access to the starter motor?

personally, I wouldn't rebuild the starter, buy a high torque one instead.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Paul 012

#4 Starting Problems S2 2+2 1970

Post by Paul 012 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:06 pm

The access panel in the RH g/box tunnel is great for the bottom bolt and was mentioned in one of this forums postings. Very helpful reminder though.

Rebuilding the old starter will be for personal knowledge: it may also be needed for answering a posting here!
BTW: Any suggestions for bits to purchase before rebuilding the old starter?

I'll let everyone know how I get on with the new starter as soon as I can get pit time.

Hope all the US members had as great an Independence Day as I did celebrating Canada Day earlier this week.

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Paul 012

Post by Paul 012 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Have been having all sorts of problems accessing the starter and was about to remove triple carbs but Chris suggested removing the splash plates at the wheel arch and lower engine area. Has given approriate access and now need a longer extension to get to the top bolt. Progress is slow but getting there.
More later and I trust it will be a successful update.
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Paul 012

Post by Paul 012 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Forgot to update everyone on proress. Starter is out and quite a job for such a simple task. Having problems getting new starter in but keep plugging away. Getting cold in Toronto now so need to speed things up to store car for winter.
Brrrr!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:47 am

Paul 012 wrote:Forgot to update everyone on proress. Starter is out and quite a job for such a simple task. Having problems getting new starter in but keep plugging away.
Unfortunately at the factory they commenced each new build by hanging the starter motor from the overhead assembly track and then building the rest of the car around it. Subsequent removals and replacements are just opposing sequences of this same process. I knew a proctologist who could do it via the exhaust pipe but for the rest of us it's a bit of a faff...

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic