Different color(sic) paint under the bonnet

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Steve Marshall
Great Britain

#1 Different color(sic) paint under the bonnet

Post by Steve Marshall » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:05 pm

I am importing a 1969 S2 from California which has a light blue exterior, but just the firewall and engine subframes are bright red. From photos - it has not arrived yet. I assumed that it was originally all bright red, but had been resprayed light blue (while the inside of the boot (trunk) etc. look surprising original, faded light blue). No rust! I was surprised to get the factory certificate showing that it left the factory light blue. Seems a bit weird (and worrying keen) of a previous owner to remove the engine and ancillaries to do this. He did change the carbs to three SU's and lived in Laguna Seca, but otherwise bog standard apart from lightening the car by giving odd bits to his mates. Long shot - did they ever leave the factory with different colour paint under the hood?

Steve[/img]
Nortonian mechanics Jan '69 S2 Roadster RHD Manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Steve,

What derivative is the car - OTS, FHC, 2+2 ? Have you checked the chassis number stamped on the picture frame to see if it ties in with the original chassis number ?

Regards,

Neil
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Different color(sic) paint under the bonnet

Post by Heuer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Steve Marshall wrote: Long shot - did they ever leave the factory with different colour paint under the hood?[/img]
No!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Steve Marshall
Great Britain

#4 Underbonnet bright red

Post by Steve Marshall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Haven't actually seen it in the flesh as yet. But it is certified by the vendor to be the correct VIN (which does correspond to 1969 LHD OTS) and it is an OTS.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kingzetts
Great Britain

Post by kingzetts » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Assuming it is the genuine article, the most likely explanation is that it was sprayed red at some time in its life and then back to blue again (on a budget, not doing the underbonnet area). You may be able to tell once you get it by carefully sanding away some of the bulkhead red to see if its blue underneath.

My '62 had changed colour from red (ex factory) to yellow and back to red again during its early life in Hong Kong.
John '62 S1 OTS (now sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Steve Marshall
Great Britain

Post by Steve Marshall » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:09 am

I will reveal the results to an anxious and waiting world quite soon. Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Steve Marshall
Great Britain

Post by Steve Marshall » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Steve Marshall wrote:I will reveal the results to an anxious and waiting world quite soon. Steve
Yep the subframe & firewall handpainted red slightly carelessly, haven't found underlying blue paint yet. Body badly resprayed light blue somewhat similar to original, with red underneath.

I shall call this patina on eBay one day.

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Definitely a respray. You mention that the car came from the Laguna Seca area. Because of this, I would very carefully look things over for hidden rust. If it's spent a significant amount of time in Monterey, it has been exposed to some seriously damp and salty air, so check the usual places for rot. I've seen some really salty dogs come from the California coast (I owned one of them), and the problem gets worse as you progress northwards. Not to discourage anyone, but "California car" doesn't always mean rot-free. You should see what that climate will do to a Porsche 356 or early 911 :shock:
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Steve Marshall
Great Britain

#9 California Car.

Post by Steve Marshall » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:30 pm

Moeregaard wrote:Definitely a respray. You mention that the car came from the Laguna Seca area. Because of this, I would very carefully look things over for hidden rust. If it's spent a significant amount of time in Monterey, it has been exposed to some seriously damp and salty air, so check the usual places for rot. I've seen some really salty dogs come from the California coast (I owned one of them), and the problem gets worse as you progress northwards. Not to discourage anyone, but "California car" doesn't always mean rot-free. You should see what that climate will do to a Porsche 356 or early 911 :shock:
I was originally a bit worried when I checked the climate there. The good news is that I have inspected the car, and it is in really good shape, amazing really for a 45 year old. Some weird corrosion on the sill forward of the battery (but not the battery carrier itself) and the footwells have been patched with fibreglass (fiberglass) from underneath, presumably in an attempt to prevent water from escaping. The "Laguna Seca" was misleading, title is from San Antonio TX, shipped to LA Beverly Hills Car Club, then shipped back to Houston en route to UK. It started easily after 15 years lay-off, and even the disks just have light surface corrosion. He also lied about the 65,000 mileage, it is actually 55,000.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Candellara

Post by Candellara » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Are you "absolutely" sure that the red paint isn't factory primer?

See here - unused valence

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-Series ... 19e70717e7
69 4.2 FHC ex Race Car
F-Type V8S
Mercedes 300SL 107

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

osgii
Switzerland

Post by osgii » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:02 pm

This is a very good question.
I also noticed having red paint under the actual bronze on some places of my car... But it's 100% sure that the car wasn't paint in red during its life.
1E35547

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Candellara

Post by Candellara » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:03 pm

69 4.2 FHC ex Race Car
F-Type V8S
Mercedes 300SL 107

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Steve Marshall
Great Britain

Post by Steve Marshall » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Candellara wrote:Are you "absolutely" sure that the red paint isn't factory primer?

See here - unused valence

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-Series ... 19e70717e7
The engine is out, and it is clear that when they handpainted the underbonnet area red, they didn't actually remove the bonnet, so the pointy bits of the front subframe are still baby blue.

Next time it was resprayed (back to light blue) they didn't even open the bonnet!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic