Hello.
I recently purchased an original Philips radio for my 1971 E-Type. The radio is a Philips 22RN681-85 Turismo Spezial. I am testing it prior to installing it in my car. It will replace a nasty Pioneer cassette, installed by a previous owner.
I am trying to figure out the wiring connections. I cannot determine the positive +12v connection. I'm hoping someone can help.
* Was the round gray plastic DIN connector used (a round cylinder with a set of about eight pins)? It would have been plugged into a similar male connector, that was on the car?s wiring harness.
* Ground (-): Appears to be the black wire with the a ring terminal that attaches to the ground lug on the radio chassis box.
* There is a gray wire with a bullet connector coming out of the back. I believe it is the power antenna lead or for a dial light?
* There is a spade terminal on the back of the radio, connected to a transistor. It?s covered with a plastic piece, and does not look like it has been used, but it could be the positive connection for the radio.
* Speakers: There are two pairs of wires, and I?m quite sure these are the speakers.
* Mounting: Was the radio only mounted with the shaft nuts to the sheet metal enclosure console that goes on the transmission hump? Or, were metal straps used to support the back of the radio, using the bolt attachment points on the sides of the radio chassis? If straps were used, did they attach to the console on the inside, or directly to the transmission hump?
THANKS for your help.
Doug
Philips radio for 1971 E-type - Wiring connections question
#1 Philips radio for 1971 E-type - Wiring connections question
1971 Jaguar E-Type SII FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
Doug,
Just found the schematics on this site: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_to ... rn681.html
I am viewing from an iPad and I can't open up the detail in the drawing but I would say the din connector is probably a line out to an external amp that may have also handled+/- connections. The grey is probably the + feed and black - to the car. If in doubt take it to electronics engineer to make sure you get it right, you will blow the set almost immediately if you wire it incorrectly.
Looks like a nice set, would have been made in Wetzler Germany. I visited the plant several times in the 80's - high production standards and good materials used in their products.
Regards,
Kevin
Just found the schematics on this site: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_to ... rn681.html
I am viewing from an iPad and I can't open up the detail in the drawing but I would say the din connector is probably a line out to an external amp that may have also handled+/- connections. The grey is probably the + feed and black - to the car. If in doubt take it to electronics engineer to make sure you get it right, you will blow the set almost immediately if you wire it incorrectly.
Looks like a nice set, would have been made in Wetzler Germany. I visited the plant several times in the 80's - high production standards and good materials used in their products.
Regards,
Kevin
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
Thanks, Kevin.
I downloaded the service manual. Unfortunately, the wiring schematics are more about servicing the internal components, and do not say anything about the external connections and the locations on the back. But it's very nice to have the manual.
Thank you, Doug
I downloaded the service manual. Unfortunately, the wiring schematics are more about servicing the internal components, and do not say anything about the external connections and the locations on the back. But it's very nice to have the manual.
Thank you, Doug
1971 Jaguar E-Type SII FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Charlton Owensby
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:26 pm

#4 Re: Philips radio for 1971 E-type - Wiring connections question
I know this is an old post, but this might help someone out.
Gray DIN connector was for connecting other equipment such as an amplifier, tape deck, etc. It can be used as a connector for an MP3 player as well, using the radio's monaural amplifier (no stereo in this radio).
The ground connection is to the rear center lug with a screw (or to any place on the case for this was a negative ground radio).
The speaker wires are the only paired wires coming out the back, and the speakers were wired in parallel, providing about 4 ohms impedance I believe.
The spade terminal adjacent to the plastic covered power transistor is not the power feed, but rather the connection for an antenna relay (+ 12v when the radio is energized).
The antenna connector should be obvious (Motorola connector).
And the power connection is the slim grey wire usually connected to an inline fuse, comes out of the chassis just beneath the speaker wires.
Gray DIN connector was for connecting other equipment such as an amplifier, tape deck, etc. It can be used as a connector for an MP3 player as well, using the radio's monaural amplifier (no stereo in this radio).
The ground connection is to the rear center lug with a screw (or to any place on the case for this was a negative ground radio).
The speaker wires are the only paired wires coming out the back, and the speakers were wired in parallel, providing about 4 ohms impedance I believe.
The spade terminal adjacent to the plastic covered power transistor is not the power feed, but rather the connection for an antenna relay (+ 12v when the radio is energized).
The antenna connector should be obvious (Motorola connector).
And the power connection is the slim grey wire usually connected to an inline fuse, comes out of the chassis just beneath the speaker wires.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



