Talk about the E-Type Series 2
-
Topic author
Zei220
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:55 pm
- Location: Sandbach, Cheshire

Post
by Zei220 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:08 pm
Hello, the AC in my car doesn't work, and i'm assuming the problem is lack of gas in the system causing the failsafe to kick in. I've had a mobile AC guy look at it but he doesnt have the connector needed to charge old system, so, does anyone know where I can get it serviced, local to Sandbach would be good.
Failing that, anyone want a AC system in exhange for RHD parts
Thanks,
Dave
S2 4.2 FHC
Ford F100 pickup
JAGUAR S-type
BMW R1300RS
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough..."
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

Post
by christopher storey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:40 pm
Past experience leads me to think that if your system has not been working for some while, it will be an extensive ( and probably expensive ) job to resuscitate it. Once the refrigerant has gone, the seals dry out, the drier bottle becomes contaminated etc, and furthermore there is usually a reason for loss of fluid , often pinholes in the condensers or similar. The other problem is that I do not know whether you can still get the old R12 refrigerant , or whether you will have to convert the system to use R134a or similar . There used to be a man on the industrial estate at Garden City near Sealand, Queensferry but whether he is still there I do not know . I am sorry this is not much help
-
Topic author
Zei220
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:55 pm
- Location: Sandbach, Cheshire

Post
by Zei220 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:53 pm
Hello Christopher, I have a feeling you may well be right. Time to start looks for RHD conversion parts ready for the over winter change
Thanks,
dave
S2 4.2 FHC
Ford F100 pickup
JAGUAR S-type
BMW R1300RS
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough..."
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
-
Contact:

Post
by PeterCrespin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:02 am
If you remove it all, could you document pipe runs, belt arrangements etc. please? There's not much photographic reference material for the details. I'll be driving past Sandbach to the Wirral for my youngest's wedding next month, but the AC stuff is a bit bulky for plane baggage...
Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
-
64etype
- Posts: 429
- Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 pm
- Location: Texas, USA

Post
by 64etype » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:09 pm
I have a snag of photos of an original system (prior to refurbishment) in "Hutch's" car, plus some others. Belts arrangement is not very clear, but hose runs are very helpful. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you. And if David wants to post them on this site, I'll send them to him as well. I also have lots of photos of my RetroAir install, but prefer to limit distribution as some of it could be considered proprietary, I believe.
Eric
-
johnetype
- Posts: 546
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:54 pm
- Location: Worcestershire

Post
by johnetype » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:36 pm
You can buy a pair of screw on adapters for around £5 that will change your two R12 connectors to R134 ones. With those fitted you can visit a local A/C recharge service and (a) see if the system will hold a vacuum as it is pumped out - and thus doesn't have a significant leak and (b) have it filled with R134 which will get your system working again if the only problem was a slow loss of refrigerant.
I don't believe R12 is available in the UK and it certainly shouldn't be as it is a terrible greenhouse gas but R134 will work in a R12 system as long as your seals etc. are still good. An R12 system filled with R134 will not give quite as good cooling but I doubt you'll notice the difference and any cooling is better than non.
John
John
1969 Series 2 FHC
-
Topic author
Zei220
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:55 pm
- Location: Sandbach, Cheshire

Post
by Zei220 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:37 pm
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
S2 4.2 FHC
Ford F100 pickup
JAGUAR S-type
BMW R1300RS
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough..."
-
Topic author
Zei220
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:55 pm
- Location: Sandbach, Cheshire

Post
by Zei220 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:34 pm
Managed to find a conversion kit for $12 in the states.
S2 4.2 FHC
Ford F100 pickup
JAGUAR S-type
BMW R1300RS
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough..."