Footwell heater vents

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
chrisvine
Great Britain

#1 Footwell heater vents

Post by chrisvine » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:04 pm

The photo in the illustrated parts book shows the footwell heater vent with an outer fixed vane housing over the moveable vents:

Both of mine simply had the moveable vents and the centre vane tends to work free without the housing:

I've tried RM&J Smith and others at Stoneleigh but haven't been able to locate the missing the fixed vane part. I think it must just clip on.

I thought it might be possible to clone one using 3D printing but I need a template. Has anyone got a vent with the fixed vane section that they would be willing to lend for the 3D imaging?

Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

grimes6
Australia

#2 Heater vents

Post by grimes6 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:22 am

Have you investigated the vents from an "s" type? I think they are exactly the same as the Series 2 E type.

Regards,
greg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

grimes6
Australia

#3 Vents

Post by grimes6 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:44 am

I have just checked the 420 parts list and the part numbers are the same as the e type. I have some "s" type ones around the place and I am sure they are the same as my Series 2.

Regards,
Greg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#4 Re: Footwell heater vents

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:02 pm

chrisvine wrote:I thought it might be possible to clone one using 3D printing but I need a template. Has anyone got a vent with the fixed vane section that they would be willing to lend for the 3D imaging?

Chris
Put me down for a couple, although it might be tricky to make them kick-proof. The material seems to be polypropylene, which is very tough and not brittle. I've only seen 3D printer objects in what appears to be a harder plastic but you may be able to do better.

Good luck.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

iani
Great Britain

Post by iani » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Chris,

These do just clip on, I have removed one of mine so if you PM me your contact details I'll lend it to you.

Ian
1970 S2 2+2 4sp w/OD in BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chrisvine
Great Britain

Post by chrisvine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks for the responses. I've found a few companies that can print with a polypropylene-like material so I'll see how viable it is and hopefully will have an update towards the end of Nov.

Ian - many thanks for the offer. I'll send you a PM

Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Malc

Post by Malc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:23 am

Put me down for a couple as well! SNG and David Manners, and presumably others, supply the complete fittings (?102 and ?90 respectively) but they are listed as S3 vents.
Malc

Series 1 2+2, 1968 Blue exterior, grey interior

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

grimes6
Australia

#8 Air vents - series 2

Post by grimes6 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 am

Maybe I didn't understand the first post but you can obtain original complete vents from an "s" type and 420 saloon . They all have the part numbers BD.25734 and BD 25733. I have several sets from an "s" type which are exactly the same as my Series2. Are you going to have these parts made so they don't come apart?

Regards,
Greg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Malc

Post by Malc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Having looked at the ones listed by SNG & David Manners more closely (part nos BD37163 and BD37164) these are different than the ones in this thread, hence the reason they are listed for an S3 rather than S1 or S2. However I can't find the part nos mentioned by Greg (BD25733 and BD25734). They are not listed by either SNG or David Manners and a Google search does not come up with anything. As I need to replace at least one as a whole unit, does anyone know where to buy one?
Malc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

grimes6
Australia

#10 Vents

Post by grimes6 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:37 pm

I have several "s" type vents I can supply. If you like I will email you a photo to make sure they are the same but I have compared them with my E type series 2 vents and they are exactly the same. I am sure you would be able to source these easily in the uk from jaguar breakers ( Black Country?) Use the following link ; http://www.sngbarratt.com/CatalogueProd ... 35&a=16352
and it will take you to the SNG site showing the diagram of the "s" type heater . Scroll down and you can see the part numbers of the vents.

Regards,
Greg

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Malc

Post by Malc » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Greg - thanks for the info re SNG. I have spoken to them and they cannot get hold of them, whether they are for an S or E-Type. I would be interested in a RH vent if you have one (I had another look at mine yesterday and it all needs to be replaced rather than just the outer vane) - perhaps you could pm me with your details and phone number if that's possible.

Thanks.
Malc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Malc

Post by Malc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Greg - did you have any luck with the 'S' type vents? I'd still be interested in one if you have it.

Thanks.
Malc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

norman m. macleod
Australia

#13 Footwell heater vents

Post by norman m. macleod » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi Greg,
Greetings from the land of Oz. I am trying to find one of the fixed (clip-on) vents for these assemblies. The whole unit Part Nos. are the same for the Series 1 2+2 as well as the S2 and the "S" Series. (BD25733 and 25734.......) If you still have some, could you supply me with one......? Any reasonable price + postage OK. Can organize payment to you within UK. If you do not wish to break up assembly, I'd buy complete assembly if necessary......Please advise, my e-mail is on Forum details....can follow up with address, etc., if OK........
Thanks/best regards,
Norman
1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

norman m. macleod
Australia

#14 Footwell Heater Vents

Post by norman m. macleod » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:35 am

Hi again Greg,
Not wishing to hassle you in any way, but did you have any luck locating those vents.......? I'm somewhat desperate to find one of the fixed louvres that clip onto the assembly......any help greatly appreciated..
Best regards,
Norman e-mail norman_m_macleod@iinet.net.au
1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

norman m. macleod
Australia

#15 Footwell Heater Vents

Post by norman m. macleod » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your e-mail. I have tried a reply twice with pic of fixed vane attached, but comes back reply failure. Anyway, fixed vane top is what I need (just 1) and is the same as the pic in Chris' initial post. Can you confirm if your e-mail is working OK?
Thanks/best regards,
Norman.
1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

norman m. macleod
Australia

#16 Footwell Vents

Post by norman m. macleod » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:56 am

Hi Greg,
Still getting "no delivery" on e-mails I sent to you......I double-checked the e-mail address and it's the correct one (I've just realized you're in Oz not UK :oops: ......Can you let me know about the e-mail, I sent my address, but I think you may not have received it. Still desperate for the part, though...........
Best regards,
Norman
1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewc
Great Britain

#17 Re: Footwell heater vents

Post by andrewc » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:45 am

Hi chrisvine, did you get anywhere with the printing of the diffusers? I need one of the clip on diffusers and was thinking of having a go at printing one but if they are available or even a 3d model is available that would help a lot.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#18 Re: Footwell heater vents

Post by Monkeyfinger » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:16 am

Having recently joined the world of 3d printing, I would suggest using PETG. This is a fairly friendly material to print and it's tough, a bit like Nylon. My car is in bits at my restorer so I have no access to these parts. I would be able to model and print as soon as I can get hold of one. I don't think they really influence the airflow and would guess the main purpose is to protect the movable vanes, so they are really just a finishing touch.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#19 Re: Footwell heater vents

Post by Monkeyfinger » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Just to add to what's gone before, I finally had a bit of time to model a 3D printed version of the footwell vent diffuser. Although I have retrieved my vents from my car, the restorers still have the actual diffuser part, so I've had to rely on photos to replicate the originals. I've produced a quick, low quality prototype version, which is a perfect and secure fit onto the Jaguar vent itself. Because of the peculiarities of 3D printing, I'm working on some mods to the design to improve the way it prints, and also strengthen it somewhat. I've added some images to show how this looks currently and the mods I'm incorporating. Since the part is not really in view, I wouldn't personally be too concerned if it wasn't 100% as original in appearance.

Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Williamss
Australia

#20 Re: Footwell heater vents

Post by Williamss » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:52 pm

Hi Richard
Are you still manufacturing these vents? If so, at what cost? If not, are you willing to share the 3D file to fellow Series 2 owners for their own use. I was going to start measuring mine up, but then I found your post. We have just purchase a spool of black PETG, so are ready to roll.
Regards, Steve
Steve W
1969 Ser II 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic