Page 1 of 1

#1 headlmap relay

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:30 am
by Beastieboy
So, I think I am pretty certain now that there is no relay in the headlamp circuit of my series 2. I've read lots of books, manuals and so on but still keep finding contradictions.
I had intermittent dipped headlamps - the switch seemed fine, full beam worked. I had a real good dig around and the 35A fuse was just on the edge of the fuse holder. I reseated and it seems - fingers crossed - to be working !
So the question is what are the two relays I have - one on the panel beside the battery and one on the same panel but on the side of the exhausts ?
Interestingly I rang a major parts supplier who write an article in the E-type mag and ended up buying a relay. Actually I can use it as the one I thought it was is pretty green on the connector and I am sure will fail soon... but surely they would know for sure... hey ho.
cheers
Steve

#2

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:51 am
by mgcjag
Hi Steve.......Have a look all the info i think u need on relays viewtopic.php?t=6362&highlight=relay

#3

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:21 am
by Beastieboy
Thanks I saw this but it doesn't tell me which relay does what - specifically the one on the inner wing opposite the exhaust manifold but also useful to know what the other one by the batteery is for.
I guess horn relays and alternator but which is which ?
Thanks
Steve

#4

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:19 am
by mgcjag
Hi Steve the two relays in front of the battery on the inner wing panel are the horn and alrernaror relays....the best way is to check the wireing against the diagram.....can be found in the knowledge base.......the horn relay will have a green wire to W1 and the alternator a black or possibly 2 blacks to W2......hope this helps......fan relay mounted on front top picture frame ...also small can round unit under heater is ignition warning light unit.....Steve