Page 1 of 1

#1 for or against power steering ?

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:51 pm
by rolando38
hello
I discovered on first examination of my recently acquired S2 2+2 that the power steering pump had been "at some stage" removed by (american) PO

My first reaction was to try and find one to fit it, but on second thoughts, and after screening the different posts on JCNA I realized that many american owners preferred to shunt the power steering to get a better driving sensation

When I also realize that all my cars equipped with Power steering had, rather sooner than late, leaked (generally from the rack), I thought I might tink it over before re-fitting a pump

So: for or against power steering on an E-type ?

PS: I will hardly ever have to park in the city, I mainly use my cars on countryside roads, or motorways

#2

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:17 am
by malcolm
I'd never consider power steering for my E. The joy of any classic is to drive them the way they were. With the E, you feel every bump and stone in the road, and can feel what the wheels and tyres are doing. Yes, it's a tad heavy when parking, but you just have to park the way you should - turn the wheel while the car is moving, rather than twirl the steering wheel first as in modern cars. Once you're uinderway, I don't find it heavy at all, and the feel is fantastic.
Just my view though - if you need the assistance, it's your choice.
My car is also a series 2 2+2 by the way.

#3

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:11 am
by iani
Another S2 2+2 owner here, providing you aren't running on wider tyres the handling is great, I wouldn't fit power steering to my car.


Ian

#4

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:02 pm
by rolando38
thanks facelvega (btw HK500 had been my previous dream before acquiring an E-type but now it's tool late ! prices have reached summits -when I think I efused to buy a good one for 20k? in 1994 because I didn't like the paint colour...l )

I have envisaged installing an EZ electrical steering on my Mk2 but I was deterred by price (4000? including installation if I remeber well)l