Hi
on my 2+2 1970 Aircon and power sterring where very common if not standard on US models
thePO suppressed the PAS, and the Aircon does not seem to be operational either
with these 2 options, Jaguar had decided to suppress the thermostat and have both fans permanently on
this doesn't make any more sense now since the stress of both accessories on the engine is now removed, and I'm not sure either it was a good choice for non-californian climates:
. noisy
. pulls on battery
. refreshes the engine even when cold
the wire was even disconnected by previous PO, and I only realized when I saw steam coming from the rad when engine was at idle speed for a long time...!
my question is therefore, what should I do ?
. put a new thermostat as on non-optioned cars ?
. pull 2 wires to the dash to a free switch to operate manually when hot (it can be over 35?C in summer in the Alps...and I do plan to take her to a few passes)
in this case what relay should I fit and where
. both
. other
thanks for your advice
radiator fans regulation on aircon + power steering models
#1 radiator fans regulation on aircon + power steering models
2+2 1970
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
Hi
Personally I would fit the switch from coolcatcorp.com , they are excellent quality. Then all you need is a modern solid state automotive relay, which any autoelectrican could supply. This would modernise the system to a more reliable setup.
On my S3 I also did pull wires to a spare switch on the dash panel. This does give some peace of mind on a hot day in traffic. If its hot, and I have to stop in traffic, I turn mine on immediately, before the thermostat reaches its temperature.
cheers
Personally I would fit the switch from coolcatcorp.com , they are excellent quality. Then all you need is a modern solid state automotive relay, which any autoelectrican could supply. This would modernise the system to a more reliable setup.
On my S3 I also did pull wires to a spare switch on the dash panel. This does give some peace of mind on a hot day in traffic. If its hot, and I have to stop in traffic, I turn mine on immediately, before the thermostat reaches its temperature.
cheers
Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
Thanks 42South
I guess you have this one in mind ?

agree, only one drawback is that I will run the risk that my now watertight water circuits gets leaky
I guess you have this one in mind ?

agree, only one drawback is that I will run the risk that my now watertight water circuits gets leaky
2+2 1970
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
Yes that's the switch.
As far as leaks go, there is no reason at all for a leak. I think you will find the switch will come with a gasket, which could be fitted dry as I did with mine, or with a smear of sealant.
My S3 has never leaked a drop in 5 years, with a similar coolcat switch fitted.
Regards
As far as leaks go, there is no reason at all for a leak. I think you will find the switch will come with a gasket, which could be fitted dry as I did with mine, or with a smear of sealant.
My S3 has never leaked a drop in 5 years, with a similar coolcat switch fitted.
Regards
Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |





