Page 1 of 1

#1 LHD Throttle linkage

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:24 pm
by prague1996
Hi
This is my first post and I'm hoping some of the more learned forum members can help?

I have recently imported a 1969 LHD S2 OTS in Primrose yellow from California. Having previously owned a 1969 RHD S2 FHC up until 2003.

I took it out for a test drive to give it a good shake down after its long sea voyage, and it was more exhilarating than I planned because the throttle stuck on! Having worked back from the carbs I tracked the problem down to where the throttle linkage passes through the bulkhead and pivots around a large (9/16" I think?) bushed nyloc nut and bolt.

Having removed the bolt and the arm that connects to the throttle linkage that runs along the bulkhead, there was a dull thud in the footwell. Which revealed that the linkage connected to the pedal and a U shaped wire spring. I have a picture but I'm not sure how to post it??

I believe the set up for LHD throttle pedals is different to RHD?

The million dollar question is how does it fit back together...and are there any top tips as space is limited? A picture would be great.


#2

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:13 pm
by prague1996
Well I managed to get it all back together, having cleaned and lubricated everything the pedal still sticks open.

The linkage that connects the pedal to the arm that rises up through the bulkhead, is a bit heath robinson and I suspect non original. Also the wire spring doesn't seem man enough for the job (unless I haven't refitted it properly?). It's nothing like the spring used for the RHD pedal.

Really appreciated any photos or advice.

Many thanks

#3

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:22 am
by PeterCrespin
What kind of sticking? High idle or high revs/open throttle? The latter used to be due to carb linkage catching on engine frame if engine mounts were squashed. Don't recall if it's possible on an S2 with Stranglebergs if yours still has that setup?

#4

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:55 pm
by prague1996
Hi Peter,

Its the pedal linkage that's sticking. If you have a Spare Parts Catalogue to hand, in the 'First Supplement' Plate 10 shows a spring (#5) connected to the pedal linkage. In the 'Second Supplement' Plate 10 shows a curious looking 'U' shaped spring (#5) which I have on my E-Type. This spring is ineffective, so when you apply any pressure to the acc. pedal it stays open. I don't know if its possible to retro fit the earlier spring which looks a lot more substantial?

#5

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:09 pm
by abowie
It usually is possible to find an attachment point and anchor point for a spring.

It's also worth readjusting the rod lengths and positions to try to ensure that nothing is catching and that individual components don't pull past or get stuck in an apex position which weakens the effect of return springs.

#6

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:38 pm
by Vegard
You can have my setup for free soon. I hate the linkage ;)

#7

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:15 am
by osgii
The U spring is effective, if you fit it the right way. There is a tiny hole in the piece of metal that links the pedal to the box. The lower part of the U has to fit in there. Then, then two upper parts goes in the box. I can take a picture of mine this afternoon if you want. Its ? difficult job to do, as you have to lay down, under the dash. You even probably have to remove the seat in order to find the right position for your body.