Page 1 of 1

#1 lower ball pin cap issue

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:35 am
by rolando38
hello

I've been replacing the ball pins of mys series 2, not because they were used , but because they had no more bellows left

the left lower ball pin cap was as expected, with a removable plastic "cup" which relacement is provided in the Barratt kit I purchased
But when the right hand one came off, I was surprised to see that the "cup" was not only in a different material (blackish glassfiber...?) but impossible to remove from the metal part
Image

and when trying to remove it I damaged it even more

any clue how to remove it ?
If I need to change the whole subassembly, the metal part is not available at Barratt, any place where I can find one (preferably in Europe) ?

thanks

#2

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:17 am
by abowie
Remove them and throw them in the bin.

Replace them with sealed for life units.

http://www.sngbarratt.com/ProductDetail ... 63077467be

#3

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:54 am
by nefematic
Andrew,

thanks for the link. It specifies S1 and S3, Rolando's car (and mine too) is S2. Would this still be the right one to get? My gaitors are missing, There is no play that I can see, but I want to get mine fixed and need to order a pair.

Thanks,

Martin

#4

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:23 pm
by David Oslo
You can just order the gaitors if you deem the balljoints themselves to be fine. I did this on my lower ball joints and on the track rod ends. Original gaitors had perished / dried up in storage.

#5

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:59 pm
by rolando38
hum, having already mounted the RH one, not so keen of dismantling it again
and as Martin mentions, they do not seem to fit the S2

#6

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:54 pm
by RogerM
They do fit the Series 2. I have just fitted a pair to mine - goodbye shims.
There are several errors of this type in the Barratt catalogue / website. If in doubt give them a ring; I found them very helpful.

#7

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:37 pm
by rolando38
thanks Roger
might use this solution if I can't save the one on pic above; would save me a dismantling on other side

#8

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:09 pm
by 1954Etype
No point using the original, shimmed joint in my view.

#9

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:48 pm
by abowie
They fit everything and are a much better design.
You might need slightly shorter bolts, although I haven't had a problem on my cars.

#10

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:05 am
by Quattrofrank
Can confirm that the sealed for life balljoints fits series 2.

#11

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:06 am
by 1954Etype
Definately.