LHD to RHD S2 ignition switch

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Markymark
Great Britain

#1 LHD to RHD S2 ignition switch

Post by Markymark » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm just gathering parts for my LHD to RHD conversion. I'd like to move the ignition switch to the left hand side of the column like the UK cars had. Does anyone know what I need to do that? I'm guessing I might need the column and cowling..... And that'll be hard to get, but hoping someone here can advise.

Thanks,
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisvine
Great Britain

Post by chrisvine » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:34 am

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what age your S2 is, but mine was built Aug '69 and it had the collapsible steering column with integrated steering lock. If yours is the same (see photos in link below) then the side of the lock in relation to the column is fixed:

http://etype.chrisvine.com/2014/05/stee ... n-rebuild/

In which case you'll need to get a RHD column. RM & J Smith are a good although expensive source.

Good luck,
Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Markymark
Great Britain

Post by Markymark » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi Chris,
Looking at the pics, I think mine is the same. My S2 was built in 69 too.
I will contact RM & J Smith and brace myself for the price!
Appreciate your help...

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#4 LHS RHD Steering Colum

Post by politeperson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Probably a bit late in the day, but having done this you have two options without having to buy a new column.

1) Leave it as it is and have the indicator on the left and the key on the right.

This works well. My other modern cars have this arrangement, so it makes swapping between them less confusing also you can juggle the starter with you right hand whilst playing with the choke with your left.

2) Change it. Drill the locking pin out and rotate the ignition bracket and rebind it. This takes 2 minutes and the casting for the ignition switch and the outer column are universal. This will give you the correct arrangement and cost you zilch.

Worth checking the play in the pair of taper roller bearings at this point. They are preloaded with a wavy washer at the base on the upper column which often has broken allowing the wheel to waggle about. Again this takes minutes and costs nothing.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#5 Re: LHD to RHD S2 ignition switch

Post by angelw » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:02 pm

politeperson Wrote:
1) Leave it as it is and have the indicator on the left and the key on the right.

This works well
An old Post, but brought into focus by a currently running Thread.

Leaving as it is doesn't actually work well, as leaving the turn direction indicator on the left, dictates that the shroud through which the turn direction indicator stalk protrudes, must also stay as it is. When the Shroud is left as is, its shape doesn't match the Speedo/Tacho dash panel bottom profile and will foul with it.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic