Page 1 of 1
#1 seat belts for 2+2
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:07 pm
by Keith in Norfolk
I am looking to replace the belts in my 2+2
At the moment I have a set which I got from SNG Barratt ,Grey with the chrome buckles which look great but just are not long enough. ( ok for the 2 seat FHC )
Any one point me in the right direction ?
#2
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Keith...was thinking of getting a pair of the sng gray belts for my 2+2.....didnt even think think about a difference between the fhc and 2+2 belts.......have you just purchased these and if so how do they compare to your originals....what sng part no are they.....have you called sng to discuss the problem.....possibly need to look at belts for a S3 2+2...Steve
#3
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:53 am
by iani
I thought the SNG ones stated they were for FHC & OTS, I've never seen them mention 2+2 ones. You can either have some new ones made, refurbish the originals or buy some new Securon ones, these are readily available on eBay.
Ian
#4
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:27 am
by Stuart Exelby
You could also call these guys - they quote a set for fitting to the 2+2...... (No connection with them other than they did offer good advice for an issue I had with Series 3 XJ6 belts......)
http://www.quickfitsbs.com/gallery_jaguar.php
#5
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:49 am
by Gfhug
Try these people, got a far friendlier reception and advice than when I chatted to quickfitsbs:
http://www.fdts-seatbelts.co.uk/
#6
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:31 pm
by Keith in Norfolk
mgcjag wrote:Hi Keith...was thinking of getting a pair of the sng gray belts for my 2+2.....didnt even think think about a difference between the fhc and 2+2 belts.......have you just purchased these and if so how do they compare to your originals....what sng part no are they.....have you called sng to discuss the problem.....possibly need to look at belts for a S3 2+2...Steve
Steve. I have had these on the car for quite a while now and have learned to live with them . I can do them up but things are a little tight ( no I am not a fat bugger ) like an idiot I threw the originals away and wish I kept them ( although they did need replacing )
I have measured the strap that comes over the shoulder which is 180cm
so replacements need to be longer than this ( at least 200cm to allow for adjustment ) The SNG belts look the part but I don't think they are designed
for the 2+2
#7
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:33 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Keith...just measured my originals...the over the shoulder piece 197cm (fitting to fitting) fully extended the other fully extended 80cm........the over shoulder part can be shortened by an adjustable fitting on the lower part of the belt.........have another look at yours to see if they are not extended fully.......please let us know how you get on......called SNG....they have have belts for a 2+2.......original Britex....part no SBS1009 black.....the gray ones listed do not say they fit a 2+2 neither do the britex part no above but sng confirm the 1009 fit
#8
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:37 pm
by Keith in Norfolk
I Checked the lengths again and they are fully extended with no adjustment
left , looks like its another set required.

#9
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:41 am
by mgcjag
Hi Keith.....any update on this....thanks
#10
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:17 pm
by mgcjag
Hi All.....anyone fitted inertia belts in there 2+2.....it requires a fitting to be attached to the B post, so drilling required at just above shoulder height and the inertia reel fitted below hidden inside the inner wing......info required and photoes if poss...thanks Steve
#11
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 am
by Gfhug
Steve, these are for a FHC not 2+2 but should show you how it is done. They put strengthening plates under the wheel arch to take the reel and loop:
However have you seen this solution from Clayton Classics?
http://claytonclassics.co.uk/parts-upgr ... -seatbelts
Chat to Sue at
http://www.fdts-seatbelts.co.uk/ they work with Clayton, CMC etc to get some good solutions
Geoff
#12
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:59 am
by mgcjag
Thanks all good info Geoff.....still looking for info on the belt reel hidden in the wing and the fixing in the B post.....Steve
#13
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:41 pm
by Keith in Norfolk
mgcjag wrote:Hi Keith.....any update on this....thanks
Hi Steve..
Not replaced the belts yet as I am investing in a Classic Fabs exhaust system . as the car is off the road until April there is no hurry for the belts.
When I do change them I will advertise them in the E Type club mag.
Keith.
#14
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:50 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Keith...sent you a pm...did you recieve it
#15
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 pm
by Keith in Norfolk
mgcjag wrote:Hi Keith...sent you a pm...did you recieve it
Yes Steve , just found it. , Ign warning light :D
#16
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:54 pm
by vee12eman
Hi Steve,
I'm not sure about Series 2 2+2 seat belt fixing because I have an S3. However, I do have photos of the hidden inertia belts as fitted to later S3 cars. Also, my very early S3 had the mounts for exposed belt reels similarly located to those in Keith's picture. At the time I believed that they only accepted non inertia belts so I converted my car to take the hidden type. If this is any help I'll see if I can find and post them, but I am not sure if it is original for S2 cars.
Regards
Simon
#17
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:12 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Simon...i believe that on the B post on the S3 there is a factory fitting to take the top runner and bolt of the seatbelt.....its how to create this on S2 that im after....i could just drill a hole and bolt to it but it needs some strengthening....im ok on mounting the reel in the inner wing....have been in touch with CMC who now have a parts counter that may be able to provide a support plate.....thanks.. Steve
#18
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:48 am
by vee12eman
Hi Steve,
You are correct that some S3 cars have that mount on the B post, but not early cars like mine. I made my own by making a captive nut to fit in the post. I used a hard nut (grade 10.8 I think it was), which I had from a previous seat belt purchase - these nuts and bolts are supposed to be used with seat belt installation. I create the equivalent to the thick washer mentioned in an earlier post, by welding thick ears to the nut. The captive nut/ears just fitted in the lightening holes of the post and I drilled a hole in the post, between the holes to accept the bolt. Then I drilled holes either side of the bolt hole, before carefully feeding the captive nut assembly through a lightening hole, manoeuvring it down and locating it with a bolt. The mount has to be a bit proud to allow the belt to pivot, so I used a spacer on the bolt, also a leftover from previous belt installations. Now I filled the holes either side of the bolt with weld to locate the captive nut permanently and also welded the spacer to the post. This closely replicated the S3 mounts that I found.
Remember the upper mount doesn't take nearly as much load as the mount for the inertia unit and the central securing mount. Of course it must be strong but it is the other mounts which take a direct pull whereas the upper mount is subject to an indirect pull. You could further strengthen the post by welding extra thickness from inside the car, but I don't think that it's required (engineering is my trade so I feel comfortable in saying that). However, I can't guarantee the strength in every circumstance. Caveat emptor as they say.
I have some photos but not available right now. They only show the final results but may help. I can post them later if you wish.
Regards
Simon.
#19
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:56 am
by mgcjag
Hi Simon.....thanks for the detailed explenation....think i now have enough info from you to proceed with making the post mounting..... Steve