Page 1 of 1
#1 Heater Box Refurb.
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:18 pm
by Ian Cooke
I've made a start on stripping down my heater box and am struggling with two things:
- Removing the fan blade from the spindle - should it just pull off the spindle?
- The collar at the end of the pivot rod for the air flap seems to have rusted to the rod. I've taken out the bolt that secures the collar to the rod but the collar is stuck fast and I don't want to twist it with too much force in case I damage the flap rod.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ian
#2
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:33 am
by Heuer
If it is the original nylon Delaney Gallay fan blade it pushes on and is held in place by a spring washer. Support the fan blade with two pieces of wood and tap out the motor spindle with a brass punch - WD40 helps. Be ready to catch the motor when it drops out!
Try heat and penetrating oil to release the collar.
#3
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:58 pm
by Ian Cooke
Thanks David I'll give both a go.
Would you recommend painting or powder coating the heater box?
#4
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm
by Heuer
Both work OK, personal preference.
#5
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:03 am
by Beastieboy
I painted mine initially but it wasn't as good as I wanted. I then found a local powder coater who did a fantastic job and I am much more pleased with it and it is much stronger than paint - where it is located just means it gets things put on it etc
If you are local to Newbury I can pass on details of my powder coat man. He is very reasonably priced
Steve
#6
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:50 pm
by Ian Cooke
Thanks Steve.
I was planning on painting it myself but may explore the power coat option.
Please let me have your man's details as I'm near Fareham so not too far from Newbury.
Ian
#7
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:48 pm
by Heuer
Original finish was 80% gloss. With powder coating you can achieve this by having it done in 'satin' and then polishing the finish either with a dry cloth or some T-Cut or similar. Practice on a spare piece of powder coated metal to see how you get on and like the finish. Alternative is to go for gloss but again, ask to see a finished piece before choosing.
#8 Heater Box rebuild
Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:04 pm
by Paul 012
May be way to late to help but this link has a pictorial article of a rebuild.
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=444.0
Its US based but units are the same: some other interesting articles there also.
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=421.0