Page 1 of 2
#1 Some series 2 questions
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:23 pm
by aerodynamic18
I hope some one can help with the following questions
1. I would like to temp remove the rear badges on my series 2 coupe but how do you remove the inner boot trim? Also how are the badges held on? It only for a bit and i will be putting them back on
2. In the boot the rubbers need to be replaced on the luggage strips. How are they held into the chrome? Also where is the best place to get the rubber? Finally how do you get the angle correct on the ends of each piece?
The forum looks great and hope to participate as much as i can :)
#2
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 pm
by mgcjag
Hi ..Whats your name......rear hatch trim fixed on with clips you will need to pry them off, badges held with clips, boot runner rubbers from SBG, or other suppliers, how to cut angles..carefully

#3
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:03 pm
by aerodynamic18
Hi im Jaimie :). So you just carefully prise it off? I don't want to damage anything! esp not the badges.
Is this the part for the rubber trim
http://www.sngbarratt.com/ProductDetail ... b8d362&l=7
How many meters do i need? Is it just meant to pull out or anything? It seems to be quite well stuck- i recon it could be original lol
#4
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:34 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Jamie....that looks looks the correct part....how much do you need?... your going to have to get your tape measure out...you dont say what model you have.....fhc, ....2+2..?... also how is it fixed in..? you will have to pry it out...you never know someone may have even glued it in... all the best...Steve
#5
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:02 am
by aerodynamic18
It's a fhc. I'll try and get pics for u to see. I'll try and get the trim off later!
#6
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:42 pm
by aerodynamic18
I've removed the screws but the clips don't want to let go. Is their a technique? I don't want to break them?
#7
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:54 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Jamie....slide something thin between the hatch and the trim panel and slide it around the edge till you find one of the retaining clips.....they are tapered and expanding so go in much easyer than tbey come out...once you have found one then lever it till it pops out
#8
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:43 pm
by aerodynamic18
That's great thanks a lot. I got it off but the badges look like they are on with pop rivits. However looking at them it appears they could need to be pushed from the centre and they would come out? Is that the idea or is it something else?
#9
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:27 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Jamie....i suppose it does look like a rivet......the badges/emblems have pins that go through the holes in the boot/hatch.. then from the inside a cylindrical fitting goes over the pin.....so pull them off .....ps put your name and car info in the signature line..and get yourself to the forum day at Bicester
#10
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:38 pm
by aerodynamic18
Hi Steve, Thanks for your help i really appreciate it. This is what I'm looking at
They didn't really feel like they wanted to move- they have prob never been off before. The reason for all the questions is i am polishing the whole car so i want to badges off to get in behind them
This pic shows the difference between a panel done and one yet to do as well as the reflection i have achieved so far :)
(I am based in Northern Ireland so i wont get to the forum day-ill get my signature sorted asap :))
#11
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:40 pm
by PeterCrespin
aerodynamic18 wrote:That's great thanks a lot. I got it off but the badges look like they are on with pop rivits. However looking at them it appears they could need to be pushed from the centre and they would come out? Is that the idea or is it something else?
Sounds like you do not have a correct fully-illustrated spare parts manual for your car. Do you?
#12
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:50 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Jamie......you never know with old cars how someone else has fitted things, glue etc....they should just pull off....
#13
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:57 pm
by aerodynamic18
ill have another look again tomorrow. It one of those thing i guess you could be right re the glue- you just never know!
#14
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:00 pm
by Heuer
PeterCrespin wrote:
Sounds like you do not have a correct fully-illustrated spare parts manual for your car. Do you?
I doubt any S2 owners do Pete unless they are prepared to shell out a shed load of money on the, admittedly superb, XKEbooks version.
#15
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:08 pm
by aerodynamic18
Tbh i don't have one. I would be willing to do some jobs and have done but this bit of trim worries me lol. Really don't want to damage the badges etc so thats why I'm being extra careful and asking questions
#16
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 pm
by chrisvine
Jamie - they're just held on with small plastic caps that are pressed onto the badge pins protruding through the boot panel, part no BD25659
http://www.sngbarratt.com/RelatedItemDe ... 68f7de11ea
I found they were very hard to press on so not surprised you're having difficulty removing them. You'll probably need to replace them if you do have to take the badges off.
#17
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:44 am
by aerodynamic18
Perfect thanks so much for that. I'll have another go and see how I get on. At least they can be replaced- just hope the pin doesn't come off the badge!!!
#18 Re: Some series 2 questions
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:12 am
by Nickleback
aerodynamic18 wrote:I hope some one can help with the following questions
2. In the boot the rubbers need to be replaced on the luggage strips. How are they held into the chrome? Also where is the best place to get the rubber? Finally how do you get the angle correct on the ends of each piece?
Hi Jamie,
I have just replaced my boot strip rubbers with new 7 meter length from Hudsons which you cut to length for each piece after fitting and am very pleased with the quality.
I used a small electrical screw driver to prise out the old rubber working from open end along the chrome & it just pops out in lots of pieces due to being so perished.
Then I punched down the old staples to get a better grip and then used new stainless steel screws to hold down the chrome trim properly and then re-punched the staples ensuring all was flat in the rubber track.
I then took the new rubber roll & working from the closed end pushed it into the track clipping it in with fingers and the small driver until it was total flat all along. (Do not pre-cut as the chromes can vary slightly in length)
Finally, after placing a small metal plate under the end, cut the rubber end square with a Stanley knife.
It all looks good and I did not cut the angles as I think that it would be quite difficult unless you removed it from the chrome and do it separately on a work bench, but I could always do it later if I changed my mind.
Can get you photo's if you need when my car is back from Angus late next week
Good luck
#19
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:00 pm
by aerodynamic18
just wanted to say thanks. Got the boot rubbers all replaced- look so much better. I also got the badges off and spent all day yest polishing it. Its looking great atm. After another coat of wax i will put them back on :). I bought the plastic holders for the badges but it doesn't look like i needed them lol
#20
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:04 pm
by aerodynamic18