Page 1 of 1

#1 Alternator identification

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:04 pm
by iani
I need to order a new loom for my alternator, before I do so, I need to know which alternator my car has. I believe the 45Amp unit has a single lower mounting lug and the 60Amp two lower lugs, is this correct?

#2

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:09 pm
by Gfhug
Ian, my 60amp alternator has two lower lugs with one long bolt between them for mounting with the third lug at the top that attaches to the swinging arm for adjusting belt tension. Also my engine has two alternator/fan belts which may help you identify which alternator you have. One drives the water pump the other to the alternator.

Hope this helps

Geoff

#3

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:22 am
by iani
Gfhug wrote:Ian, my 60amp alternator has two lower lugs with one long bolt between them for mounting with the third lug at the top that attaches to the swinging arm for adjusting belt tension. Also my engine has two alternator/fan belts which may help you identify which alternator you have. One drives the water pump the other to the alternator.

Hope this helps

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, same as my car, I need to order a new loom section and wanted to check I was getting the right one.

#4

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:09 am
by mgcjag
Hi Ian....have you ever checked the brushes in your alrernator.....I started to get the ing warn light comming on so changed as a unit the plastic holder and brushes (just a small screw holding it)...Ii say this becaus the connectors on the new unit were not exactly the same as my wireing loom ones...so possibly a new Alt loom may have the connectors on to fit the newer brush unit.... ps SNG sell the brush unit, mine were worn down to nearly nothing...Steve

#5

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:13 am
by Gfhug
A couple of photos of mine to help confirm identity:
Image
Image

Geoff