Installing series 1 radio console in a series 2

Talk about the E-Type Series 2
User avatar

Topic author
Quattrofrank
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:17 pm
Location: Norway, Oslo
Norway

#1 Installing series 1 radio console in a series 2

Post by Quattrofrank » Tue May 24, 2016 11:07 am

Does anyone know if there is possible to bolt on a 3.8 or 4.2 radio console sintead of the usual series 2 / 3 console in a series 2 FHC (manual transmission)?

The older style radio console gives a bit more leg room because you avoid the wide foam on the frontplate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#2

Post by christopher storey » Tue May 24, 2016 11:22 am

I cannot be absolutely sure, but I think that it will be very difficult, because the centre drop down panel of the S2 is slightly deeper than that of the S1, and the S2 console is, I believe, correspondingly shorter than that of the S1. I can try and measure the depths of my two versions, and if so I will post them later today

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
Quattrofrank
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:17 pm
Location: Norway, Oslo
Norway

#3

Post by Quattrofrank » Tue May 24, 2016 11:55 am

Would apreciate this. As a temp solution I have removed the foam, but behind the foam was only metal so it doesnt look any good.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

PeterCrespin
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Contact:
United States of America

#4

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue May 24, 2016 1:41 pm

I fitted S1 upper and lower panels in my stolen S2. If Chris's measurements highlight a problem fitting just the lower console, I presume you could trim upholster) the de-foamed S2 version, or trim (shorten) the S1 version.

The third option would be more drastic - you could trim (amputate) your offending leg... :lol:
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Mark Gordon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
United States of America

#5

Post by Mark Gordon » Tue May 24, 2016 2:00 pm

"I fitted S1 upper and lower panels in my stolen S2. " Just to make it clear to our newer members, Pete, you had an S2 stolen from you; you are not in possession of an S2 which was stolen from someone else. :wink:
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#6

Post by christopher storey » Tue May 24, 2016 5:25 pm

I have just been and measured ( not accurately to nearest mm because I did not take them off) and the results were a surprise to me , being the opposite of what I expected. The depth of my S2 console was about 188mm from top of padding to the horizontal surface . The depth of my S1 console was 163mm. Now I do recall that at some stage , I cut the S1 unit down , but to the best of my recollection when I rebuilt the S1 , I restored the console to its correct depth. Perhaps someone else can check the depth of theirs

PS Perhaps the only conclusion to be drawn is that suggested by Peter, namely that if you are going to change, you need to use a matching pair of drop down instrument panel and console

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic