squeeking rear wheel update

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Keith in Norfolk
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54 am
Great Britain

#1 squeeking rear wheel update

Post by Keith in Norfolk » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Well folks , its back the squeak has returned with a vengeance.
After more head scratching , greasing , WD40 I think I have finally found the problem , I noticed when driving if I applied the hand brake slightly the squeak would stop , then if I released the hand brake the squeak would return so it must be a case of hand brake adjustment required.
ok here we go again , will let you know if this works.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

kingzetts
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 9:33 am
Location: Worcester UK
Great Britain

#2

Post by kingzetts » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:49 pm

Good luck with that one. I've been plagued by exactly that irritating little squeak ever since my rebuild several years ago - despite the handbrake having been apart several times since then for various reasons. For some reason it always seems to be loudest when passing through quiet French villages on our regular touring holidays.

It would be worth checking the run-out on your discs - a slightly warped disc might catch the handbrake pads more audibly than the main pads.
John '62 S1 OTS (now sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

caveman
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:55 am
Great Britain

#3

Post by caveman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:09 pm

I strangely suffer the same niggle you mention. Only when reversing down my driveway out of storage. With light application of handbrake it disappears. I just put mine down to low annual mileage and pads sitting too long in same position on disc when stored. The remainder of disc surface getting a very light coating of corrosion causing an initial 'squeak' on application. Once driven it doesn't return as discs are clean with use.
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)
:wavegreatbritain:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

caveman
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:55 am
Great Britain

#4

Post by caveman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Just remembered and shortly after my restoration, I had a squeak that turned out to be shock absorber compression. This was only noticeable with light compression, front only on my car. With adjustable shocks, I merely tightened the fronts up a little. Sorted!
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)
:wavegreatbritain:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


alfred
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:13 pm
Location: london ontario
Canada

#5

Post by alfred » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 pm

sometimes the flex lines get old and bulge in and out with braking not allowing full release of calliper pistons. After replacing the front flex lines my brake squeaking ended. Maybe your rear flex line is doing a similar thing?

Alfred
1968 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Keith in Norfolk
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54 am
Great Britain

#6

Post by Keith in Norfolk » Sat May 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Sorted at last , my annoying squeak has gone .
It turned out that the O/S Handbrake pad was just touching the disc.
I Jacked up the car , removed the wheels and with a small grinding stone fitted to a Dremel ground off the build up on the disc on the outer and inner edges , result a squeak free E Type Yippieee.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic