Page 1 of 1

#1 Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:13 pm
by Bernie2015
Hi All, can anyone suggest a good way to clean up my series 2 ribbed cam covers and stromberg carbs. Its a US 1969 version. Many thanks.

#2 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:23 pm
by abowie
I had the cam covers sand blasted, painted them with satin black enamel and then sanded down the top.

With carbs I usually bead blast the bodies and if you want you can use a polishing wheel on a bench grinder to get the bell shiny.

#3 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:19 am
by malcolm
The blasting sounds good - I spent hours with Auto Solvol!

#4 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:29 pm
by Bernie2015
Thanks, I should have said without removing them from the car - it sounds like solvol autosol then?

#5 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:30 am
by malcolm
You can of course take the dashpot covers off the carbs and get them on a polishing wheel easily. Just remember to mark them so each cover goes back on the same carb, the same way round.

#6 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:18 pm
by Bernie2015
Many thanks Malcolm will try that

#7 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:15 pm
by christopher storey
But watch out - the bells can get quite hot ! :wow: :wow:

#8 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:43 am
by Henkie
I polished my cam covers! first removed the black paint by sanding (sand paper) them and then (only) glass blasing the groves. After that I polisched the hell out of them :bigrin:
20160416_144342.jpg
cam covers
20160416_144342.jpg (141.53 KiB) Viewed 6574 times

#9 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:49 am
by Bernie2015
They look great - what grade sandpaper did you use?

#10 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:26 am
by JagWaugh
I've had pretty good results using a tumble polisher for carb parts. It takes a bit of imagination to plug the passages to keep the ceramic media from entering and getting lodged in a passage, but it is a hands off process which avoids the risk of warping or ballistic modifications associated with a polishing wheel, and also treating every nook and cranny of the surface equally.

I start with ceramic media, then move on to walnut shell with an Aluminum polish. I use multiple ultrasonic wash and rinse cycles at the end.

Fine for smaller parts, but not exactly practical for cam covers etc.

Andrew

#11 Re: Polish cam covers and Stomberg carbs

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:23 am
by Henkie
Bernie2015 wrote:They look great - what grade sandpaper did you use?
I started with 600 (wet sanding) and finished with an old 800 paper. The top I did with a block because I only wanted the rills (is that english..) to be polisched, not the groves.