REAR LIGHT CHROME TRIM.

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
vacbag
Great Britain

#1 REAR LIGHT CHROME TRIM.

Post by vacbag » Tue May 26, 2009 3:40 pm

:( Anyone got any experience of fitting the rear light chrome trims to a series 2..{SNG call them underiders} part no BD 35740/1.
They seem a very poor fit to the body contour and the rear light shell contour. and it is not clear to me if they tighten against the contours or are fixed in a different way.
Any advice would be very welcome.
Steve.
Sunny Scarborough. :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Eric Capron
Great Britain

Post by Eric Capron » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:53 am

Steve,

Bought a repro chrome finisher at Stoneleigh last weekend from a very well known E Type panel supplier. I now have one original (left side) and one repro (right side). It is hard to believe that they made the repro using an original as the pattern. The profiles and even the sizes are different.

The original fits perfectly and the repro doesn't fit anywhere very well and is going to take so much work to make it fit I'll wait until I find another original for the right side.

FWIW I also have a set of repro headlight chromes from the same supplier. They don't fit properly either and required a lot of time and patience to get a moderately good result. I know that we tend to grumble about the fit of some repro parts and should be grateful that they are actually available but does it really take any more effort to make a part properly than to make it badly?

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
vacbag
Great Britain

#3 Chrome finisher

Post by vacbag » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Eric
It is 18 months since I posted this question but I remember I had exactly the same problems, I ended up fitting the headlight chromes with small stainless machine screws and nuts on the inside, very hard to tighten the nuts but it worked.
also I could send you some pictures of the coil mounting bracket but not the Ballast resistor as I do not have one.
Let me know if you need them.
Steve.
Sunny Scarborough

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic