Page 1 of 1

#1 Checking & changing the manual gearbox oil

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:42 pm
by rswift
Quick question if I may....before I pull up my glued down carpets/sound deadening.....which side do I find the inspection plate to reveal the gearbox filler.

My car is a US Spec, LHD Series 2 2+2

Also, as I have no idea of when it was last checked or changed, if it looks a bit grim I may as well change it.

What are people using for this, EP90/equivalent or something more modern ?

Thank you

#2 Re: Checking & changing the manual gearbox oil

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:19 pm
by abowie
Filler plug should be on the LHS. There may be an access hole there already with a rubber plug in it. Get under the car and you should be able to see it, and any hole.

Level is determined by filling the box until oil just leaks out the filler hole. About 1.7l. Get a "Tom Thumb" type oil pump. This will make filling the box a breeze.

Most people would recommend Redline MT90. I am a complete nonbeliever in oil advertising speil, but I do believe that MT90 improves the function of my all synchro boxes.

#3 Re: Checking & changing the manual gearbox oil

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:11 am
by Gfhug
It's possible your gearbox is like mine and has the filler plug on the RHS, seems to have been a change halfway through S2 production. Sadly there is no access hole on the RHS of the gearbox tunnel cover in my car, but as Andrew had previously suggested I got the same sort of pump he advised and could fill from underneath. A bit awkward and you will have to jack the car up front and back to be level and to give space to crawl underneath to get to the filler hole.

Sorry if you find this, I've no idea if they ever fitted RHS access blanking plugs on some S2.

Geoff

#4 Re: Checking & changing the manual gearbox oil

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 am
by rswift
Hi Geoff,

Yes just found the LH blanking plate, removed to be greeted by a casting on the gearbox !

Looks, I'll crawl under it...but looks like a pain in a domestic garage, and 10 minutes if you have a hydraulic ramp and proper pump !

Thank you

Russell

#5 Re: Checking & changing the manual gearbox oil

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:33 pm
by rswift
So, I was outside doing an oil change on one of other cars, and dirty enough to climb under the E-Type.

I do appear to have an inspection hole in the transmission tunnel, but also the filler plug looks low enough to get at from under the car relatively easily.

I think the Redline MT90 seems to be the way to go...so all good.

Thank you