SNG Barratt V12 Ignition system

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 SNG Barratt V12 Ignition system

Post by andrewh » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:31 pm

I have an XJ12 with the SNGB ignition system installed. Its not been trouble free to be honest, but when working it has been superb. The trouble is it has a tendency to overheat, just like they always did, and stop working until the bonnet is opened and temperature dissipates. I am trying to establish the facts behind the SNGB Ballast resistor and therefore the coil that should be used with it. I have had the amplifier changed a few times and it has recently been tested to be good. However, the Ballast resistor is showing 0.6 ohms of resistance vs a new one of 1.0 Ohms apparently ( I have not tested this myself but have been told these figures) Now call me stupid but I had been led to believe that the SNG Ballast resistor was in fact not a real BR but a dummy, and therefore presumably have no resistance built into it? If thats the case the coil should be non BR coil. Anyone know much about the SNG ignition system ?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#2 Re: SNG Barratt V12 Ignition system

Post by lowact » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:48 am

Your issues and description of an Opus system, why do you think you have a SNGB modified system? Are you able to post photos of the inside of the distributor and of the inside of the amplifier?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15092&hilit=Lucas+CEI
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19296&p=156699&hili ... EI#p156652
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic