Reassembly in S London area

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

#1 Reassembly in S London area

Post by christopher storey » Mon May 22, 2023 9:49 am

I am posting this on behalf of someone living in S London area who has a V12 where all mechanical parts and the bodyshell have already been restored, but which now needs re-assembly, and the mechanic working on it so far has now had to give up. Can anyone make suggestions as to who might conveniently - and reliably - take this on ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Reassembly in S London area

Post by MarekH » Mon May 22, 2023 3:27 pm

Where in south London? I might take an interest.
kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Reassembly in S London area

Post by christopher storey » Mon May 22, 2023 3:45 pm

Marek : at the moment I was given the details in confidence, but I do know that the owner has applied to join the forum and will no doubt post further details once he is registered . I did suggest to him that you would probably be the best source of information

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: Reassembly in S London area

Post by MarekH » Mon May 22, 2023 4:35 pm

The reason I ask is that I am west of London and travel in every week already. I can be reached via the email messaging option - my regular mailbox here is permanently full.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

doug h
Great Britain

#5 Re: Reassembly in S London area

Post by doug h » Wed May 24, 2023 8:51 pm

Thanks Christopher for getting this posted on my behalf, much appreciated.

Hi Marek,

I'm the owner of the e type needing reassembly.

The car and all of its bits are in my garage in Croydon. It's already had all the major bits done on it, at least as far as I want to invest at this point. It's had a full engine/carbs/gearbox rebuild and all bodywork fully repaired, full bare metal repaint, lots of new chrome, mostly rebuilt rear axle assembly.

I've no intention at this point in any interior restoration, it's not in bad shape actually and I don't have the budget for it right now anyhow.

The body is still on the painter's dolly. None of the mechanicals are currently fitted.

I probably also ought to mention that my v12 has the 6x Weber 40 IDF carbs modification; pictured here before rebuild:

This project started with the guy (let's call him "B") who rents space from me at my garage; but he's more into the really vintage side of classics though and it was his colleague ("J") who did the work on my car to get it disassembled and ready for rebuild. The engine and gearbox were done through a contact of B's, and the bodywork I arranged myself and was done by Vulcan Classics in Brentford. J has since moved out of the area and is not interested in finishing the project at this point. B is also pretty much winding down due to age and health and doesn't have the contacts in this style of classics to help get the car finished.

What remains is mostly the reassembly and perhaps some tinkering with the peripheral parts to make sure its all up to scratch and working nicely together. It's taken quite a while to get to this point and it's now been 6 months or so since I got the car back from the body shop and it's sitting there still with no progress. I really wanted to be back driving this car this year!

If you are interested, lets have a chat, or pop over to see the car and we can go from there?

Cheers,
Doug.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#6 Re: Reassembly in S London area

Post by lowact » Thu May 25, 2023 7:51 am

If you want to make it original instead of the SU's, I have a complete intake system packed away in deep storage ...
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#7 Re: Reassembly in S London area

Post by MarekH » Mon May 29, 2023 9:16 pm

Dear Doug,

Croydon is a bit too far for me to commute to.

If the engine runs, the differential is back in one piece and the hubs are done, it sounds as though your car ought to just go back together without too much difficulty. The Parts Manual pretty much shows you what to expect.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic