where is my old V12 roadster

Talk about the E-Type Series 3
User avatar

harryetype
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Newbury Park, California

#21

Post by harryetype » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Andrew

If you visit the DVLA website and download a V888 Request by an individual for information about a vehicle.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/~/media/pd ... /V888.ashx

Fill it out and send it off with ?2.50 you might get lucky.

I've just completed one for my Dads old V12 which last change hands on the 14th December 2007, the very day he passed away (spooky)
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Car-Nut

#22

Post by Car-Nut » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 pm

harryetype wrote:Andrew

If you visit the DVLA website and download a V888 Request by an individual for information about a vehicle.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/~/media/pd ... /V888.ashx

Fill it out and send it off with ?2.50 you might get lucky.

I've just completed one for my Dads old V12 which last change hands on the 14th December 2007, the very day he passed away (spooky)
Harry,

What info will it give you?

I need to find some info on my car like when it was registered my V5C says 08081980 (DECL/D MANUF 1962) not sure what that bit means.

08081980 - The restore date :wink:

I know from doing some digging it was first registered in early October but not sure of the exact date :( :?:

Will this form fill in my blanks :?: :?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#23

Post by andrewh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:38 am

but Harry, I have tried this once before and if I am not wrong, unless you are the current owner or there has been an accident etc, DVLA will not give out information on a current owner? Am I wrong? How did you get info on your fathers old car, and did you find out where it is now?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


vipergts
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

#24

Post by vipergts » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 am

andrewh wrote:but Harry, I have tried this once before and if I am not wrong, unless you are the current owner or there has been an accident etc, DVLA will not give out information on a current owner? Am I wrong? How did you get info on your fathers old car, and did you find out where it is now?
Friendly Insurance man.

Our only problem is now that we cant really make an approach without the Guy getting suspicious then he could call the fuzz.

We'd have to be kinda "just walking past" and saw it on his drive.

Clive is you car a UK car or did it get exported then imported again in 1980? Usually this date is the date at which a car was first registered in the UK so in other words it could be an Import?
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Car-Nut

#25

Post by Car-Nut » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:19 am

vipergts wrote:
Clive is you car a UK car or did it get exported then imported again in 1980? Usually this date is the date at which a car was first registered in the UK so in other words it could be an Import?
No its a UK car I have a duplicate of the original Registration Book and the other owner is listed.

Just read it properly it was 1st registered 25\09\1962 :oops:

Dont know what happened to it in the late seventies before it was bought for a restore project :?:

I will copy this over onto my History seeking thread for this car save gatecrashing someone elses thread :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

harryetype
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Newbury Park, California

#26

Post by harryetype » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Back in the late seventies when DVLA changed all their records over I beleive ( as I was only 8 at the time) you had send in your old Green log book and they would then send out a new one, or when it was taxed/changed owner it would have been updated at that point.

However at that time S1 & S2 E-type would not have been worth the cost of a service and therefore a lot of them became laid up and no records were updated and fell out the system.

Many years later when the cars became collectable they started to come out of the woodwork. They got fixed up and more often than not bought an MOT for ?20, changed owner and at this point recieved a V5 with that registration date.

I have lot of UK S1's that show a 1980/90's reg date. I've never tried to have the date ammended, but if you obtain a Heritage certificate from JDHT and it shows the date of registration they may amend it for you.

In answer to Andrews question, I called JDHT gave them my fathers name and that he bought the car new from Dutton-Forshaw in Chatham and they found it and gave me the chassis number, they were chuffed as I gave them the correct spelling of my Dads name and original Reg number.

I then did an HPI got the new reg number. As Bro mentioned we cant use the other info, so I called DVLA yesterday expalined what & why I wanted the infomation and they suggested that I complete the form and send it off with ?2.50.

I will let you know how it goes, otherwise I will have to just be walking passed his house whne he is cleaning it.
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#27

Post by andrewh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:03 am

thanks Harry. Good information and certainly makes sense about many of the E's being off the road in 1979 which is when the transfer from buff log books to V5 took place. I would be very interested in hearing how you get along, as I would love to get my old V12 back as well. Mind you, I suspect she is not quite as lovely as she used to be with only 12k on nit when I sold her. Its a bit like old girlfriends, 22 years has no doubt taken its toll!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#28

Post by andrewh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:04 am

sorry Harry, to be clear, did the HPI check show you the name and address of the owner?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

harryetype
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Newbury Park, California

#29

Post by harryetype » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 am

Unlike an old girl friend at least you can make a car look like new again.

The HPI does not show the owner info but it will tell you when it last change keepers.
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


vipergts
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

#30

Post by vipergts » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:28 am

harryetype wrote:Unlike an old girl friend at least you can make a car look like new again.

The HPI does not show the owner info but it will tell you when it last change keepers.
All the info that an HPI check reveals you have. Shame it doesn't confirm name and add but understandable
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Heuer
Administrator
Posts: 15203
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Great Britain

#31

Post by Heuer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:34 am

My car was first registered in 1963 but restored in 1999 which is the date shown on the V5. This has the bonus of making RAC European cover dead cheap because they base the premium on the DVLA records. Just try getting a breakdown and recovery quote for a 46 year old classic car - you can hear the sharp intake a breath! Big mistake to try and get the DVLA to change their records.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Car-Nut

#32

Post by Car-Nut » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 am

Nice tip David :!:

so was yours originally a 3.8 :?:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Heuer
Administrator
Posts: 15203
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Great Britain

#33

Post by Heuer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 am

Yes but it was built as an Eagle 'clone' and designed for long distance touring. A 4.2 high torque engine, 2.88 diff, 5 speed box, cross drilled ventilated discs, high efficiency CMS radiator, 4.2 seats, black dash etc etc. Basically everything you would begin to hate on a long trip was changed and I have refined it further in the light of experience. Doing what we do in a 'standard' car would be no fun believe me!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#34

Post by andrewh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:58 pm

why did I sell it? And look at the price of the petrol!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#35

Post by andrewh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:01 pm

oops,
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#36

Post by andrewh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:04 pm

this was another very low mileage LHD I owned, in 1988. 3000 miles. Think it went to Spain.......anyone seen it?
Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#37

Post by andrewh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:39 pm

The good news is I still have the sweater!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Heuer
Administrator
Posts: 15203
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Great Britain

#38

Post by Heuer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:41 pm

But do you still have the hair? :bye:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Car-Nut

#39

Post by Car-Nut » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Thought Id found it in a little book I have but it was JJH 563 N :(

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2649
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#40

Post by andrewh » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:48 pm

still have the hair, but not the same colour. Bit of a conincidence the plate being so close. I wonder if your book is a misprint as this was an import and therefore a new issue plate in 1988. Strange to have another E type so close??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic