Page 1 of 1
#1 Towing a Series 3
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:02 am
by Chickencoupe
I realize that these fabulous cars never break down, but if the completely unexpected happened and I should need to have my 1972 series 3 2+2 returned to my home on a flat-bed truck, where would be the best place to connect the tow straps on the car to pull it onto the truck?
I apologize for asking such a basic question...just want to be prepared!
Thank you,
Curt
#2 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 am
by mgcjag
Hi Curt.....attach a rope or strap to the lower front wishbone......keep it low and watch that the rope dosnt damage the front bonnet underpanel, it shouldnt do.....to pull onto a flatbed you only need to attach to one side
#3 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:57 am
by Chickencoupe
Hello Steve,
That's good to know...thank you very much!
Curt
#4 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:26 pm
by Paul Buckley
If you have eared spinners it is easy. I towed mine for nearly 200 miles with no problem at all.

#5 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:52 pm
by Paul Buckley
I misread your question! The early V12's had a towing bracket attached to the front cross member. Mine is a '72 and although the bolt holes are there, the bracket was never fitted. It would be an easy enough exercise to fabricate one though, and I have it in mind to do so. That would be a good place for a winch hook.
#6 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:42 am
by MarekH
Dear PAul,
Is that not a hold down point for strapping the car to the ship's deck for export? There are two further such "towing" brackets attached to the bottom of the rear shocks and they aren't angled with a view to making towing the back of the car but point to the floor instead. What is more, it'll foul the chin scoop if you use it for towing unless the rope points downwards.
kind regards
Marek
#7 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:30 am
by andrewh
I think I saw a factory picture of the last V12 E going down the production line, and they had attached the car to the moving line via those brackets. It was the picture of the engine being lowered into position. They probably did double up as tie downs for shipping
#8 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 pm
by Paul Buckley
Hmm, that makes sense as it is not on my car, only the holes for fitting it. I was told that the holes were for a towing bracket and always wondered why it had been removed. Now I know!
#9 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:06 pm
by Bob.
#10 Re: Towing a Series 3
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:25 am
by Chickencoupe
I just saw your reply as I haven't visited the forum for a few weeks.
I see now that my '72 has holes for the bracket on the center piece.
Thank you! That is great to know!
Curt